Maine Bans importation of firewood

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about if I buy wood in Acadia, bring unused wood home (quarantined of course) and then bring it back to Lake Umbagog. Is that legal even though I transported it through NH and MA?
Also is Cumberland Farms wood CERTIFIED bug free?

What about if I buy wood in Acadia, bring unused wood home (quarantined of course) and then bring it back to Lake Umbagog. Is that legal even though I transported it through NH and MA?
One could argue that transporting wood long distances may spread bugs and diseases whether one crosses state lines or not. The wood could also be infected while in transit (unless protected). Bugs and diseases don't know anything about political boundaries...

Also is Cumberland Farms wood CERTIFIED bug free?
Unless they sterilize the wood, probably not.

Treated wood may be safer to transport, but should not it should not be burned (toxic fumes). http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/chemwood.html

Doug

How effective is kiln-drying?
Depends on the drying temp...

Seems a bit excessive to me, but a quick search finds a supplier in NH. The supplier claims a temp of 175F and that its wood is free from insects, mold, and mold spores and that the wood is "heat treated to export standards". There are other possible pathogens that aren't mentioned. http://www.wood4burning.com/kiln_dried_firewood.html

Doug

I traveled the Maine turnpike on Friday afternoon and the first rest area after crossing the bridge had an informative sign stating it's illegal to import wood and a physical drop off area..

Hi all,

I'm meeting with the ALB Outreach Coordinator for the Mass Dept. of Ag. later today. I'll mention some of the points that have been brought up in this thread and post any information that may be helpful or that may dispel misconceptions.

Its not just the big name infestations they are worried about. I believe that Northen Coos County may have a quarantine for the pine shoot beetle affecting pines and I also think there is a longstanding ban on currants and gooseberries in Maine and NH that has been in effect for many years as the plants are part of the life cycle of the white pine blister.

There is a lot of low grade wood being shipped around the world to displace coal. Before it can be shipped, it must be sterilized. The Europeans are investing heavilly in pellet plants in the southeast to ship large volumes to Europe. They also are getting ready to build Torrefaction plants for the same reason.

I'm meeting with the ALB Outreach Coordinator for the Mass Dept. of Ag. later today. I'll mention some of the points that have been brought up in this thread and post any information that may be helpful or that may dispel misconceptions.

Some info:

-There are other threats to the forests of NE besides ALB, many have been mentioned. Regarding Asian Long Horned Beetle (ALB) only:

In North America, it has been found in NY, NJ, Il, Ontario, and Massachusetts. The Illinois infestation was eradicated in 2008. Worcester and parts of some surrounding communities (recently added sm. part of Auburn) represent the larger population in Mass. 6 trees were also found with ALB in Boston (Jamaica Plain) of about 50,000 checked. Close to Arnold Arboretum, but still a small infestation. The insect will travel up to a mile, but that's rare; 1/2 mile is typical. This helps define the area being watched.

Once the infected wood has been chipped it will no longer support the ALB life cycle. Removal of the tree is the chosen treatment with replanting. Pesticide use sounds somewhat inefficient due to its inability to reach the part of the tree with ALB larvae.

Definitely sounds like it would be best to keep in check but it's not running rampant at the moment. The only areas it has been found so far are urban. The belief is they have come in from Asia in pallets, etc. to these cities. If ALB were to become established in the northern hardwood forest, it would have an unlimited food supply. And when insects eat alot, they multiply alot.

IMO it wood be best to take care of now while relatively easy to do, as ignoring it will not end up good however, I don't think we need all H to break loose to do it.

Reference and identification info:

http://www.mass.gov/agr/alb.htm

Hope this helps.