Maine - Tumbledown and Little Jackson - connective trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Unstrung Harp

Reaction score
Does anyone know how straightforward it is to get to the Little Jackson summit from the Tumbledown summit? Was thinking of trying to do it as a big CCW loop. Not sure I want to do a 'whack but if there is a decent herd path then maybe that'd work.

Hi,

There is a herd path that goes around Tumbledown Pond. Keep your eyes peeled as you walk along it on the eastern/northeastern shore for another herd path heading east, which goes to Little Jackson. It is marked by cairns when it gets up higher and leads right to the summit. It was easy to follow last year, but that may have changed.

You can get to the herd path from Tumbledown Pond by following the signs toward the Parker Ridge Trail. You will come to a junction with Parker Ridge and the Pond Link Trail, near an open areas suitable for campsites. At that point, head toward through the open area to the pond and look for a herd path heading left. The herd path to Little Jackson is about 1/2 mile on your right, if I recall correctly. NOTE: as previously mentioned, watch carefully for the herd path. It is easy to miss.

You may also be able to get to the herd path by descending from North Tumbledown. Never done that, though.

An easy alternative is to use the Pond Link trail between Tumbledown Pond and Little Jackson, but that adds a lot of mileage.

Have fun at one of my favorite areas:cool:
Marty

Last edited:
trail on Little Jackson

There is a definite unmarked trail goin down the backside of Little Jackson beyond the rock ring at the summit.Unfortunately I can't tell you where it comes out since I was doing a clockwise rte from Tumbledown to L Jackson,on to Big and North Jackson.Bushwacking up Little Jackson I stumbled upon a distinct trail that goes steeply up to the top,easy to follow.I'm guessing it may connect to the trail that leaves the pond and heads over to the usual trailed rte up L Jackson.

Not sure actually, since we ended up not going around the pond. We went up Loop and down Little Jackson. (Parked at Brook so had some road walking each way.)

Definitely want to get back there very soon and find out. Little Jackson looks super cool, and the Tumbledown summit does as well...now I've been THIS close to both. Beautiful hike in spite of tease factor.

Can anyone provide an update on accessing Little Jackson from Tumbledown Pond? I understand that there are a lot of herd paths that lead to nowhere. I'm heading up there this weekend.

Thanks!

the pond link trail connects the two peaks.. it's a 1 mile trail between the pond and little jackson trail, easy to follow.. if you do tumbledwown 1st, the trail is close to the outlet of the pond.

however if you want to whack between peaks, I'm no help and there is lots of paths along the shore of the pond, established mainly by fisherman and campers..

Last edited: