Maine's fire warden tr.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Herrmann

Reaction score
I am planing on climbing Mt Abraham and Mt Spaulding in Maine this winter. Plan to pull a gear sled on the fire warden tr. from West Kingfield rd.. Just wondering if this is the best access point and is the trail sled friendly? Is it better to access from the Caribou rd.?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, have a great winter!
Steve

The access to the mountain from the firewardens side is crosscrossed with major snowmachine trails and based on the signage I observed last year at least part of the approach road is a major snowmachine trail. The biggest hassle may be to avoid getiing hit and needing earplugs due to the sleds running all night.

Just in case you havent heard about it, you can bypass a lower section of the trail by staying on the logging road past the main trailhead, heading up hill for a distance (1/2 miles?) and taking an obvious road to the left. about 1/4 mile in the trail crosses the road just before another intersection.

Depends on how steep or rough terrain you're willing to pull over. The first section between the logging roads has a rough patch, but if it's snowed over should be cake. The second section, up to the cabin, I seem to recall as having a slope but a very reasonable trail for a pull. Above the cabin, though, I wouldn't want to try to negotiate a sled.

It's been a few years, anyone been there more recently who can elaborate better than I?

I wouldn't want to pull the sled from the Caribou road

The trail from the Caribou road could be too much 'fun' for your sled. First crossing of the brook and then it shoots straight up, then after the fork to the leanto it is pretty rocky. From the leanto up to Mt.Abraham I think it wasn't a bad trail to pull a sled.

You could also pull your sled up CVR into the valley, camp by the pond, and bushwhack up to the AT on the side of Spaulding.

There was some discussion about Barnjum access last year in this thread including the statement:

I haven't been in there for a few years...
My understanding is that the State of Maine has acquired that land and has, or will be, restricting vehicular access from the south. The roads here were notable for culvert issues, deteriorating bridges and LARGE rocks. Along the Abraham ridge to Middle and East Peaks, a trail was in the process of construction (should be spectacular when completed). Farmer access is easy up the north ridge. If the road is now undrivable or gated, a mountain bike approach should be doable

not a good thread title

There were over 100 peaks in ME with "fire warden trails"

The access to the mountain from the firewardens side is crosscrossed with major snowmachine trails and based on the signage I observed last year at least part of the approach road is a major snowmachine trail. The biggest hassle may be to avoid getiing hit and needing earplugs due to the sleds running all night.

Just in case you havent heard about it, you can bypass a lower section of the trail by staying on the logging road past the main trailhead, heading up hill for a distance (1/2 miles?) and taking an obvious road to the left. about 1/4 mile in the trail crosses the road just before another intersection.
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Steve