Major Fun and Solitude in the Belknaps!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Jan 7, 2012. Spent the morning practicing tele turns at Gunstock Ski Area in the spring snow conditions and headed up the street for some Major Fun in the Belknaps for the afternoon! I have absolutely no memory of hiking Mt Major as a kid, but I must have done it…. The nice thing about getting old is how quickly things become new again (like after I forget things!!!).

Anyway, I knew I realistically didn’t have time to get too many of the peaks, but, I was happy just to go beyond Mt Major towards Straightback and East and West Quarry. If I had more time, I would have explored the quarries. I was glad I had a map!

Mt Major from the Main Trail is rather well-worn. The lot was full and main trail was absolutely jammed with people. Once the ice appeared, the crowds thinned. I don’t think I’ve been on a mountain as crowded in some time!!!!

Further up, most steep sections had well-used bypasses. It is amazing to see what happens on such a popular peak. Past Mt Major, things quieted down. There is SO much to explore in the area, I was excited to see some new terrain. The woods continued to remind me of Autumn since there wasn’t any snow.

I did an out-and-back. The camera came out after I hit my turnaround time at about 3pm. Then, I figured I had time to take pictures of what I saw earlier! I hope you enjoy!

My first picture of the day – a sweet stonewall and some interesting moss:
P1000337-mossyrock.jpg

Autumn-like woods:
P1000344-nosnowpath.jpg

Typical piece of trail along the scrambles near East and West Quarry:
P1000346-ledgypath.jpg

Bleached moose bones. Who knows how old?
P1000347-moosebones.jpg

Heading back to Mt Major from the Quarry link. Nice views of Winni!
P1000352-outlookfrommajor.jpg

The foundation on the top Mt Major. Had it all to myself at the end of the day-– so weird for this peak to be so quiet!
P1000353-summitfootings.jpg

Back down the ice flow on the final crawl down from the summit– the only place I felt the need and used traction.
P1000356-icyneartop.jpg

An AWESOME day!!!!