Making Sleds (Pulkkes) Work in the Backcountry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pks4000

Reaction score
The name comes from a Laplander word, pulkke, meaning travelling sled..... they used to be made of wood and reindeer hide.
So far the most cost effective and lightweight plastic sleds come from Paris Co. in Maine. The are quick to build (1 hour or less) and last years.
Images and building info to follow in separate post.

The amazing Sherpa K did a great post on this a few years back . Our new Evo (He he couldnt resist) design is so simple and light I'll offer it as an alternative construction.

The orange one, about 37.00 (1 source is Aubuchon ) is better made than the smaller ones but a tad too long and heavier. Sherpa K has his "Beast"
I cut off the tail of the sled to shorten it and let snow flow off the end instead of the back of the sled "tub" filling with snow.

We cut it about 50 inches in length. WHY there?
If you intend to ride your Pulkke out you will fold your PVC towbars back on the sled on top of your pack and you dont want the tow bar dragging behind the sled while you surf.

Some put a cross bar across the 3/4 inch PVC pipes at the 1/2 way point (tow bars) but it weakens the pipes at the T joints (personal experience)

Some cover their sleds, we dont, its a pain to get stuff out of your pack on the way .

ALWAYS stop and lift your sled over running water or you will increase the coeficient of friction exponentially . If several are towing have the wman behind you lift your sled and so on. The last person must "drop harness" and carry the sled over but the minute it takes to re-up the harness is worth it.

We always tow if we can.

We quit when the "gravitational mechanical advantage "makes towing harder than carrying. It will be obvious to you.
I watched Frodo haul his Pulkke into Zealand ,up Zealand and eventaully over the Bonds in what turned into a sierra cement X country slow out the Lincoln Woods/Wilderness Trail. Definately a super human endeavor.

I will take images of our sled and harness set up and post them ....otherwise this post will be too verbose.

Explanatory text will accompany the images as well as braking tchniquesfor the "down ride".

Some out and back routes "made" for towing.

Any road approach.

Carrigain Road: All he way in on the road and then a considerable distance up the trail. You can ride the sled
out .
Dicey Mill: Tow up and bobsled down a mile or so at the end of the day. One of the best return slide routes in NH.

Into Zealand Hut .
Into Bondcliff Trail and up quite a way.
Cabot Trail if the water crossings are frozen
Mt Garfield Road and a good deal of the Trail Quite a ride down!

Gale River Trail ....Almost to the gravel outwash Wonderful
Into East Osceola
Into the North /South Hancock split.

Some of Valley Way Not enough tho:)
Nineteen Mile Brook Trail .

Up the Moosi road to Gorge Brook.
Liberty Springs from the Flume lot .

Images and building info to follow.

Climbing Stallion/BMT

Last edited:
Don't forget Hancock Notch Trail in to do the Hancocks, then Cedar Brook/Wilderness Trail for a fun sled trip!

A really good source on sleds and toboggans is www.wintertrekking.com, a Canadian site for winter campers in the Far North. They carry a lot-big tents, wood stoves, etc. so almost all of them tow a sled of some kind, usually on snowshoes.

The toboggans are usually made from plastic-either UHMWPE or HDPE with wooden cross pieces and rope for towing. Some of them use poles, but most use rope. They are towing them through wooded areas or across frozen lakes.

The site has articles on all kinds of winter gear and forums where members post pictures and so on, just like here. The winter camping info is very comprehensive, but aimed at more traditional camping and gear-cotton tents with stoves, cotton anoraks (for really cold weather), mukluks, wool clothes, that sort of thing.

I also highly recommend Ed Bouffard's site here:

http://www.skipulk.com

He sells pulks and pulk kits, and provides a free (and very extensive) downloadable pdf guide on making your own pulks.

That's the reference booklet I used to build mine. It's awesome. Lots of different designs you can model yours against.

Fish

Agreed and thank you!!

Ed's site is complete and his designs and mateials result in a very expedition worthy sled. If I were headed to Denali or the 100 mile backcountry and needed to haul 50-80 lbs I'd pay for his quality.

The design we came up with is exceptionally light and very minimalist simple and so far trouble free after 8 years. The plastic on my pulkke is getting a little thin tho:)