Mammut Packs. Any feedback?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hello All,

Last winter I purchased a Mammut Nirvana 30 as a smaller winter pack that would easily carry my snowshoes. I have to say that I love it better than any pack I have ever shouldered. It is designed for backcountry skiing but it is so comfortable that I have used it during warm weather hikes as well. The separate compartments make organization so much easier than a traditional top loader.

Does anyone out there have any feedback on Mammut packs or any accounts of their customer service?

I purchased a Mammut Xeron Shake after being so pleased with the Nirvana. It doesn't have true hip belt padding but it was very affordable (found it on sale) and it is far lighter than the Nirvana and not nearly as heavy as my Osprey Kode 38.

Any reviews?

Thanks,

Z :D

I'm not sure of thier packs, but for year's Ive trusted thier ropes. They seem to last the longest and take alot of falls.

I have two Mammut packs (Spindrift and Trion) that I bought about four years ago. They were terrific when I got them and they've been holding up great despite much use. I'll be sad when I finally have to retire them.

Thank you for your replies.

It seems like many people aren't aware of how good of a pack they make. This is my initial impression but not based on anything terribly factual.

There are so many other brands out there that people associate with quality backpacks (Kelty, Osprey, Deuter, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia etc) that this company doesn't seem to have that much of a following. During my first round of the 4Ks I was very observant of gear and what brands people selected for specific items. At least in my experience, I don't recall any Mammut packs.

I would like to know how good their customer service is considering many of their products are guaranteed for "life".

Thanks,

There are so many other brands out there that people associate with quality backpacks (Kelty, Osprey, Deuter, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia etc) that this company doesn't seem to have that much of a following.
They are a Swiss company, very much associated with high quality in Switzerland, but apparently much less well known here.

We ran into a crew a couple of years ago hiking Washington the last weekend of winter. They had two guides and every one in the party including the guides had identical Mammut gear head to toe. The guides were really talking up the experience making conditions look far more hard core than they were. I am not sure the guides appreciated meeting Trish and Alex just short of the summit. I kind of think it deflated the guides commentary to meet a 6 year old about ready to finish her winter 4ks just short of the summit.

I think most regard it as high end gear with a high end price.

We ran into a crew a couple of years ago hiking Washington the last weekend of winter. They had two guides and every one in the party including the guides had identical Mammut gear head to toe. The guides were really talking up the experience making conditions look far more hard core than they were. I am not sure the guides appreciated meeting Trish and Alex just short of the summit. I kind of think it deflated the guides commentary to meet a 6 year old about ready to finish her winter 4ks just short of the summit.

I think most regard it as high end gear with a high end price.

That is a funny story, thank you for sharing that.

Like with so many other brands and types of equipment I searched around online for a few weeks until I found some serious deals. The Gear Exchange in Burlington, Vt had the Nirvana Ride 30 on sale for somewhere around $90. I bought the Xeron Shake from them as well for $60 with one day shipping.

Most of their gear is above what I am willing to pay but every once in a while you can find something of theirs of high quality for well below sticker price.

Thanks,