Man killed by beaver

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have alot of time around Beaver's. I make hiking stick's out of beaver stick's, the sticks I use are always de-barked and under water, giving them a "petrified quality" and superior durability. I visit 4 or 5 colonies in the Whites and as they move around I find new sites. My experience that beaver's are very territorial and will defend thier lands with a variety of measures. The first step is ussually the tail slap on the water, followed by swimming very close to what is threatening them. My basic rules when collecting sticks, NEVER approach the Den, they will come at you fast out of no where. I never disturb the dam, I will take sticks off it, but not sticks that will cause any breach. I will wade but prefer to wade close to shore as being in the water is giving up to much safety. I prefer using long poles to retrieve sticks that are under water. The beaver is a fasinating creature, no one works harder. Ive seen them reach weights of 50 lbs ( aprox) and up close those teeth are verocious looking, I would not want to feel that bite.