March 5 - Hancocks & March 6 - Osceola's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chinooktrail said:
Okay, I will try to borrow some. Any other advice for the trail from this side? Crampons, for instance? Extra dog cookies to make fuzzy friends? Home baked goodies to make human friends? I have not done a hike with anyone from VFTT yet, but looking forward to it.

Home baked goodies are always welcome!!! I agree with Sherpa John that snow shoes would be a good idea. With all the snow most likely crampons will not be needed so if you do not have them no sense is buying them.

See you Sunday!

Trade Ya

chinooktrail,

I've never been known to turn down home baked goodies. I'll bring a second pair of snowshoes for you. Look for me in a blue Toyota pickup with kayak racks on top.

I don't have a second set of crampons. Sometimes they are essential, sometimes not. It's very unpredictable.

George

Hi Kevin,
Try this link http://reshaequip.com/harnesses.html
for harnesses. I have a harness for my husky that I picked up when I lived in Alaska, she used to go skijouring with me. I had to retrofit it when she got arthritus, I added some buckles so she didn't have to lift up her front legs to shove through the front of the harness. They do make harnesses for really big dogs, I have even seen a team of Newfes at a sled dog event! I think the sled dog races are going on this weekend on lake Chocorua, so if you are headed up or down 16 stop in, they have vendors there who could help you.

Hi George, thanks for loaning out some snowshoes, that would be great! I will be the one in the Mini.

Hi Bob and Gerri, thanks for letting me tag along. I have crampons, so I will bring them along for the hike. They spend a lot of time in my pack, and not enough time on my feet.

chinooktrail,

If you have crampons, you should bring them. I hiked this trail a few weeks ago, and even though it was pretty well packed, there are a few steep pitches where the cleats on our snow shoes just didn't have enough bite. We switched to crampons and that helped a lot!

I'll be on the hike Sunday, so I'll see everyone then!

Kevin: Can't wait to look at the set up you have for Brutus. I've been curious since reading somewhere that you belay him on occasion. Best of luck with Brutus on Cannon Sunday!

I haven't seen the go 'round in the winter. I wouldn't think that'd get too messy for dogs, would it? Not icy like the chute? I'm not sure this dog could manage the chute without help even in summer, he's still learning how to do scrambly stuff.

I carry lots of treats for the four-legged Dugan. He'd probably prefer prime rib!

Yeah.. Bob does like Prime Rib :rolleyes: that I still owe him.
HEHEHEHEHE :eek:

So the list for the hike... if I am not mistaken is as follows:

Sherpa John, Sherpette, Bob and Geri, Mark, George Fitch, Robohiker, Cantdog, Dinnette and Dugan, Chinooktrail. Sounds like an awesome group!

ANYONE ELSE?!

SJ :eek:

Last edited:
No problem John - I know a good place on the drive home that we can stop for dinner :D

Did you say that Ken C was coming along as well?

Sherpa John said:
Yeah.. Bob does like Prime Rib :rolleyes: that I still owe him.

So the list for the hike... if I am not mistaken is as follows:
Sherpa John, Sherpette, Bob and Geri, Mark, George Fitch, Robohiker, Cantdog, Dinnette and Dugan, Chinooktrail. Sounds like an awesome group!
QUOTE]

If some are coming from Lincoln way... you folks could park at Lincoln Woods and carpool up the road 3 miles to the trail head? :confused:

we're coming from Pinkham so... Kanc from Conway.

If anyone wants to car pool from Lincoln Woods, I can fit 4 adults with packs and 1 large dog in my vehicle. If we should look for you please send us an email today before 5 PM as we may not have email access after that. We will plan on leaving the Lincoln Woods lot at 7:30 sharp Sunday morning.

I will be coming from the Conway end, I have a Mini, so not a lot of space, or I could bring the HUGE red truck that fits 22 and gear. (Dodge Ram quad cab)
I need to stop at the Ranger Station and pick up a new sticker, they usually do not mind a few cars parked there, as long as we tell them. So, if someone wants to car or truck pool from that end, let me know.

seeing if he can get away...

I might try for sunday... we'll see how it goes saturday... :)

Paul

Can Not Go!!

I hope someone reads this before tomorrow at 8 am. I went out XC skiing today, and now have blisters the size of band aids on my heels. I guess I had a reaction to the Band Aid blister cover, because when they came off, so did all my skin. Oh well, I just hope they are healed up before next weekend. Have a great time hinking, and I hope to catch the next one. Thanks.