Marshall 01-18-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PINPIN JUNIOR

Reaction score
Hi my friends & ennemy.

After a couple e-mail with ColdRunRiver We take the decision to hike Nye & Street with a meeting at 7 a.m. at the South Meadow Junction and if He will nort arrive after 15 minutes go at the ADK log parking.

We start from the Base Camp 15 minutes before 7 a.m. in a windy morning, I drive in ADK road when I saw Junior open the car window.
"What do You made Junior?"
"I am warm! I need fresh air"
"Yes after You eat your old fermented carrots soup You have a pain head this morning. Close the window You will take cold."
Atchum!
"He Junior it is not the first time I tell You to put your hand in front of your mouth when You sneeze" ;)

"It is the second car You put on the snow bank since 15 days, fortunately for You the car drivers were thinking He drive too fast and lose the control!!!" :D

We wait 15 minutes at the South Meadow junction and without ColdRunRiver go to park in the ADK parking.
We wait and other 15 minutes and take the decision to change the plan after We wrothe a note for CRR.

One or two inches of new snow powder over a hard base. Windy but not cold to cross Avalanche and Colden lakes. Old snowshoes tracks from junction with the Marshall path. Now The snow is 3" very quiet morning without noise. Junior: "I can earing me thinking"!
WHat?
"You can not earing You thinking Alain because You thinking to think but You never think!" ???!!! :rolleyes:

We hike few time in the left side, few time in the right side and few time directly in the Herbert Brook. but it was also important to stay allert whith the possibility to pass trought the ice.

After the swamp, We stay to long time in the col :( and We need to bushike to catch the summit!!! The new snow is around 6".

We go down by the usual path and meet ColdRunRiver near the swamp. We go down slowly and saw where CRR passed trough the ice one time.

We tried to stay more time in the usual path but not with 100% succesful!!

We wait at the Cedar leanto and restart when CRR arrived, less windy in Colden Lake but more windy in Avalanche Lake!!!

Faster after Marcy dam when CRR take the poll position.

Hiking time for today 7 h. 19 minutes.

Have a good day.

Pinpin Junior.

Possible Reunion

Alain, at the very end of last winter I was heading over to Rocky Peak Ridge as you were coming back. As you neared, Junior jumped out of his resting spot and give a big kiss and a hardy 'ello' to my hiking buddy Topo. Now Topo still cannot shut up about meeting the great Pinpin Junior. Soon after that I had some work done on the knee, and now Topo is clamouring to see Junior again. As of now I have plans to be in the High-Peaks from Jan 26 to Feb 3. Is there any time, even during the week, that Junior might consent to letting Topo come along on a hike. I am pretty sure I won't hold him back too much, though Rabbits and Frogs sure can go sometimes. It would by my, errrrr, Topo's pleasure to share the high hills with you for a time. If it's easier, email me at topofgothics@hotmail. Thanks

Topo Junior meeting!!

Hi TopOfGothics. :)

Sure It will be a pleasure for me to help Junior to meet a friend. ;)

If all stay the same I will come back at the base camp january 24 for a 4 days weekend and the same for the next weekend.

When You will know where You will are just e-mail Pinpin Junior and We will made plan for this specail meeting.

Feriendly, Pinpin Junior.

Keeping with the fun

Junior write to me and say lets go to Street and Nye Friday after a fun day of fight the bushes in doing all 5 Dixes together after meeting on the Dix top, like him I say sure WhY Not!! :)
I called to the work and said I won't be in because I have to leave to early for the start of hike, lucky man in charge friend who do some hiking!!
Even with a early start I caught the snow storm all the way, no black on road between exit 20 and 30 of the Northway..
I finally make it to the loj and see no car I thought was Alain's and I see no tracks start to the Street and Nye...

I walk around and think for a moment on what happened and what to do. Then nice lady volunteer start to talk to the Red Fox and ask about what I have planned. I tell her I supposed to meet someone and we talk for a few minutes and then she say that car over there has a note for a Cold Run River!? Thank you very much but why not tell me first!! I grab my gear and ready to go my clock say 8!! I know that Junior get big head start at least 30 minutes maybe 45!! eek!
I start out with a fast pace my paws move fast over the snow as I think how far Junior ahead of me. I hope he is tired today and not get good sleep.
I make the fast tracks climb to the lake of the Avalanche in only 1:23 for 4 miles with a full pack for day. The snow make Juniors tracks look old and I think how far he ahead and mad a sad face.

I go through the valley of the Avalanche and see all the beautiful ice on the cliffs everywhere as I cross the lakes with the wind in the face.
I make the second lake and quickly find myself starting the Herbert brook. Fresh snow and Juniors tracks don't look as old now in the fresh snow! :)

I get to excited and not thinking, I follow the Junior tracks across the brook and then I find myself in the brook! That nice pool in the summer you see not so pretty under the ice in winter!! :eek: The next 1000 steps I now go very slow wet and the new powder stick to my snowshoes and make very tough! :(
I then follow the brook and wonder what wrong? Junior hop this side then that side sometime in the middle, I think he not drink the coffee this morning! ;)

I come to near the top and then run into Junior and Alain!! he say Junior do bad in finding the path this morning and he bat him in the head! I see the problem to much snow and it cover Juniors eyes so he could not see where he was going!! :D
We both excited and talk a while then I say we move and keep warm and I'll catch you if you go at the normal walk, he agree. He tell me only 500 step to make the top!!

I leave and see on the way down Junior was happy and made new tracks everywhere. I had made a smile face in the snow near a spot where I see Junior take a break, (very unusual) and he make in the Junior face with a picture of the Red Fox next to it! :)
I make it to the leanto just as Junior stop to take the drink before the lakes. I tell him I change cus I'm so wet and the wind on lakes make me brrrr. ;) I feed the red squirrel who sit in leanto, no sleeping bag or pack so I feel bad give him the nut.
I catch Junior on other side of first lake because he go slow and stop and talk to two boys one of which not wearing any gloves!!
We then hike and talk very much about adventure and playing in the wood. We wondered where Snow White sometimes called IceNsnow? We call out for her but she not answer. We think the bad people ( who say go the work don't hike in the woods get her) and she need to make the money for a new cottage in the woods. :D
At end of day Junior looked like he wants to chase the fox instead for a while and we go fast to the loj and make good byes for the next time.

Cory D aka The Red Fox. :D

total hiking time 6:47 minutes, paws wet.

Last edited:
These "Fairy Tales" are Soooo Precious, I love them! :) :)
I love all Fairy Tales from Alain. Cold River Run you getting as good as Alain. Before long you will be bringing a bride for Junior in your pack.