Marshall ???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
After my question about Seymour, I start an other thread on another summit. (We have done Seymour yesterday, friday 13) :)

Is it that someone has recent informations on Marshall, as like the trail conditions, details, etc?
This will be our next destination for our #44 and I'd like to have a few details.

Yvon,

Are you making the approach from Upper Works? If so once you get to Flowed Lands the trail goes off to the left. Your not on the trail long and you will cross a wooden foot bridge. Just on the otherside of the bridge to the left is where the herd path begins. This is Herbert Brook. The herd path follows the brook 3/4 to the summit and then peters out at an old beaver pond (more of a swampy section). If memory serves me the herdpath goes off to the left and you make the final summit push over very rooty and rocky terrain. At this point if you look directly behind you, you can see the massive Iroquois summit cone. Very impressive! Looks so close you can touch it :D

Marshall summit is in the trees but if you have a nice day take some opportunities to explore some of the look out ledges just before the summit.

Good luck and I cannot wait to hear about your report. I really love Herbert Brook. I did it in October when the leaves were in peak. AWESOME!!!!!!

Adam

Thank you Adam for the informations on the herd path. :)
I know exactly where it start, I past by there several times. It is those infos on the HP like you gave me and the actual conditions that I am looking for. That will be my second atempt, the first was in the winter at Dom day.
I did not decide yet from which way we will take, from Upper Works or The Loj.

Last edited:
yvon said:
After my question about Seymour, I start an other thread on another summit. (We have done Seymour yesterday, friday 13) :)

Is it that someone has recent informations on Marshall, as like the trail conditions, details, etc?
This will be our next destination for our #44 and I'd like to have a few details.

Yvon, my son and I hiked Marshall last summer. The herd path makes its way primarily on the right side of Herbert Brook, but we found that at times it was easier just to stay in the brook. There was plenty of rock surface to hike on which provided a nice quick ascent.
Best of luck on your remaining peaks. We have 3 left as well - Allen, Haystack, and Marcy. Our next planned hike is Allen, hopefully next weekend.

Yvon, right now the trails are relatively dry and the water level in all brooks and rivers at August level. Therefore you should have no trouble traveling the brook itself wherever it’s possible. The sections of Marshall herdpath left and right of Herbert Brook are always muddy and annoying. Personally I liked coming down via the herdapth that leads to Cold Brook/Iroquois col. It’s the one closest to the summit. It gets much less traffic nowadays and depending where you came from you can go back to the Loj via the Rocky Fall/Indian Pass trail or to Upper Works down to Lake Colden. If you take that route to the col, for its views, don’t forget to climb a large boulder which you will contour up slightly from the first wet area down from the summit.

Thank you Christine for your informations,
Following suggestions of friends, one of them is a rabbit, I will probably comming from the Loj by Indian Pass, Cold Brook trail between Lake Colden and Indian Pass, Up to Marshall and maybe go down by Herbert Brook herdpath and back to the Loj. I did not know about that way by Cold Brook until that I meet Joe in the herdpath to Seymour.

Well this time I don't agree with Alain, as the trail up Herbert Brook is often slippery that route is much easier as an ascent and the scenery way more spectacular going up than down. Furthermore it's as well much more pleasant negociating the large boulders around Avalanche Lake in the morning on fresh legs!

In any case either ways it will count! :D

BlackSpruce said:
Well this time I don't agree with Alain, as the trail up Herbert Brook is often slippery that route is much easier as an ascent and the scenery way more spectacular going up than down. :D
You've probably right Christine, but to the defending Alain, the idea to climb by the Cold Brook / Iroquois col, is what I want to do. And his suggestion is that instead back on the same path he suggest to go down by Herbert Brook herdpath.

BlackSpruce said:
In any case either ways it will count! :D
And you're right.
Thank you

BEHIND the summit rock (and tag) is a short trail to ledges with a good panoramic view including Cliff, Redfield, Allen, Adams and Upper Works.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2889176530080703265ywtffy

The false summit between Marshall and Iroquois Pass has decent NE views of Iroquois and Shepherds tooth.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2762399420080703265FUsjFl

It is quite a detour from Herbert Brook, but not the bushwhack described in the past. But I hear that returning to Flowed Lands via the pass (instead of Herbert Brook) is not worth the trouble.

MR

great news!

you are getting sssssooooo close! only 2 to go.

Good job to both of you

Suzanne