matches vs. bic lighter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
Most of the so-called '10 essentials lists' I've seen have included waterproof matches. I've never used 'em, but I certainly don't wish to be unprepared. But I'm wondering if there is any benefit or good reason to having waterproof matches over a nice little bic lighter?

Aren't BICs filled with butane? If so, I believe they freeze in winter. a bunch of waterproof matches, while low-tech, work anytime. Good idea to carry both, though?

Them waterproof matches better be fresh. I had some layin'round for a while and couldn't even get a spark after a while. I have only had experience with one brand though (forget what they were. )

A match is a lot easier to get into the innards of a camp stove to light it, or into a lantern, or even to drop into tinder to start a campfire. I tried a lighter all of once and realized that it's just not designed for these kinds of tasks.

I usually try to take "strike anywhere" kitchen matches in a ziplock bag, but I have a bic lighter as a backup. Sometimes it's easier to pull the lighter out of my pocket than to fish in my pack for the matches. Also, they work fine in the winter if you keep them in an inside pocket.

I bring a couple of Brand X lighters, rather than Bic, because they are transparent, and I can get fuel status visually. I back them up with strike-anywhere matches (not available everywhere) in one of those little waterproof cases like we used to use in Boy Scouts.

Steve

matches

I have had problems with not the waterproof matches but the boxes they come in. Seems the match won't light if the "strike here" area of the box is wet. Waterproof matches are no good if the only way to light them is on a box that is useless. I have yet to see Strike Anywhere waterproof matches.

Use the bic to light the head of the match. Either way, bring spares. 2 lighters if you go that route.

I always carry both. Most of the time I use the lighter, but have used the matches on multiple occasions, such as when my hands are so wet that the flint in the lighter gets socked rendering it useless.

Like most of the other responses to this question I carry both a bic lighter and waterproof matches. Both are light enough to not have to worry about weight. So far I have not had to break out a match since the Bic has given me a flame everytime.

I carry a butane lighter with an extendable end,and also carry waterproof matches in a waterproof case.
Actually,the most reliable way to get a flame is my Primus stove with piezo ignition. Never failed to light in the 6 years I have owned it.

Just one caution regarding lighters - they are designed for lighting cigarettes which don't give off sparks or burn at high temperatures. Lighter fuel is highly explosive - one railroad reported 3 cases of welders who lit a torch with a plastic butane lighter they then put in a coverall pocket, and had a spark land on and burn through the plastic case. As I recall the guy who put it in his pants pocket came out better than the guy who put it in his shirt pocket. Another kid said he tossed his lighter in the fire once to see what would happen but was smart enough to move back as it sent sticks flying 50 feet when it went up.

Bottom line - don't leave a lighter where it can fall into the fire or (if plastic) a spark can land on it.

Wow - Great thread - I usually carry about 3 mini bic lighters and 2 separate waterproof containers of matches.
I keep a lighter in my stove set, in my general carryall/repair kit, and one in my toliet paper bag.

I keep a small nalgene bottle of matches in my first aid kit and also, always in the top hood of my backpack double bagged in ziplocks.

BTW, NY does not allow Strike Anywhere (SA) matches - I think Cuomo signed a law around 10-12 years ago. Only Strike on Box (SOB) are allowed. However, in PA, you can get SA.

As long as I am moving to MA, I may as well pick up a few boxes of SA matches. Does anyone know if they are sold in MA, NH, VT or ME?

Last edited:
Rick said:
As long as I am moving to MA, I may as well pick up a few boxes of SA matches. Does anyone know if they are sold in MA, NH, VT or ME?

They are sold in NH, which is where I buy mine.

Steve

RoySwkr said:
Just one caution regarding lighters - they are designed for lighting cigarettes which don't give off sparks or burn at high temperatures. Lighter fuel is highly explosive - one railroad reported 3 cases of welders who lit a torch with a plastic butane lighter they then put in a coverall pocket, and had a spark land on and burn through the plastic case.

Actually, until I misplaced the thing, my prefered woodlands light was a brass zippo and it should be much more resistant to the above problem.

A zippo, though heavy can be refilled with white gas or even denatured alcohol and it is said to work fine at altitude.

I am match-challenged. I don't know why, sometime long ago, I bought some waterproof Cochlan matches (green box) but for some reason, I am absolutely horrid in lighting them. I have worn out the striker and I always seem to have a hard time to get them to light. It came to a point where I couldn't trust myself to light them before a)braking the head or b) wearing out the striker. So I bought some plain old grocery store matches and put them in a waterproof ziplock with other stuff!

Anybody else with a horrible lighting skill?

Jay

Peakbagr said:
Aren't BICs filled with butane? If so, I believe they freeze in winter. a bunch of waterproof matches, while low-tech, work anytime. Good idea to carry both, though?
The freezing point of butane is very low and a lighter could easily be warmed enough to vaporize the butane. They are mechanical, though, and do fail. Flint falls out, wheel breaks.

Also, matches must be struck somewhere. Strike anywhere assumes that you are someplace hospitible. Surrounded by snow and Krumholtz, you may not find a place to strike.

The answer:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1024

Frosty

A zipper works wll as a stiker for most matches (stike anywhere and regular). Plus you provide for hours of jokes if you use your pants zipper as your stiker.