Merrell Outland Hiking Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdigo49

Reaction score
Any thoughts on these boots? I just bought a pair at REI, using my 20% members' coupon, thinking to try them instead of my heavy classic Merrell Wilderness leather boots.

I haven't worn them outside yet. They feel OK with several different kinds of socks, but I am a little leery of the lacing system that uses loops of cord in place of eyelets and hooks.

Any experience with these boots? I should have checked with you guys first, I know...

Edit: Reviews from Google sources are generally favorable, but some treat them as "shoes," as in everyday footwear. One reviewer advised not to plan to use them backpacking. I'm interested in their use with a, say, 45-lb pack in the 'daks.

Last edited:
Hmmm... 82 views with 0 replies... I guess these boots aren't too popular.

I wound up returning them, because I couldn't get a fit that felt right. I usually wear 11s, but bought 11-1/2's because (as the internet reviews noted) these boots are small. The toe box was a little tighter than I like, so I tried 12s and found them way too big. I finally swapped them (and $12) for some Garmont Flash 3 GTX's, which feel great in 11s.

Sorry to switch from Merrells, which I've worn for many years, but I just couldn't get their Outlands to feel right.