Message for PIN PIN - TRAIL CONDITIONS - Please read

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mavs00

Reaction score
I quick message of support to Pin Pin.

Some people may not realize this, but if one were reading the rude, stupid and silly comments that are so mean in nature posted about them in the Trai Conditions, one might be tempted to "just stop posting stuff". Especially someone with your experience and esteem. You don't need us after all.

The simple truth is, and the main point of my posting is, WE NEED YOUR VALUABLE INFORMATION ABOUT CURRENT TRAIL CONDITIONS more then you may know. For those that don't know, Pin Pin is one of the most traveled Adirondack winter hikers, and his information, which he gives freely, is extremely valuable to the hiking community. The fact that he delivers it in his quirky (and lovable) manner, is secondary.

Let's face it, the peaks are more and more accessible in winter then ever. Which means more and more hikers with LESS EXPERIENCE are heading out there (I include myself). Many of us check "conditions" here before heading out. By having GOOD, RELIABLE and REASONABLY RECENT conditions, we can better prepare ourselves to meet the challenges we face, or even alter our plans based on what we are likely to find out there. This, I'm almost certain, increases overall safety during this most difficult time for hiking. It's never been more apparent than this winter as conditions have been so changeable and each day seems to gives us something different. I've personally depended on such information a few times this winter, as have many others, not to mention followed path broken out by you.

So for Pin Pin, and all you others that regularly post quality trail conditions, THANK YOU for so selflessly taking the time to keep the rest of us informed. For those that feel the need to berate and be mean or whatever other reason you have, keep your thoughts and comments to yourself. The OVERWHELMING majority of this online community (and any for that matter) depends on the graciousness of "people with the right information" (like Pin Pin) to share it with the rest of us.

I don't mean to rant, but I just know that if he (or any of the other regulars) just decides to say "to hell with em", we'd all be the poorer for it.

Last edited:
I have a dream....

Right on Mavs00! Good job!
How embarassing to read those incredibly intolerant and shallow comments. One would have to expect I guess <sigh> that with the number of people using this facility that the odd anomaly will crawl in.

Pin-Pin, j'espère que tu t'en fasses pas avec de pareils singeries. Continue de nous inspirer!

Last edited:
Postholers suck. The people writing foolish posts on here are probably trolls. They should go post on summit post. That is where most trolls end up anyway after they get booted from the boards everyone else enjoys. Pin Pin is a freakin' hiker legend. I am fortunate to say that I have met him. He is an incredible person. He has more trail time than anyone else on this, or any other board. He posts trip reports for my(and your) benefit. He only reminds people to use snowshoes, which by the way, is a rule anyway. The part about telling him to go back to New Jersey is asinine. Most of the idiots I see up in the mountains are from downstate, or from NJ. I suspect the person writing these posts is from one of those two spots. Pin Pin breaks more trail in one season than most hikers do in a lifetime. Give it a rest. I say ban those two people now, get it over with. I can't believe I get on here to read a trip report or two to see where to hike tomorrow and that is what I read about. I would like to personally thank Pin Pin for the countless winter trails I have enjoyed due to his hard work.

I too, agree the comments about Alain were totally uncalled for! There was no reason for it! I personally enjoy reading his "broken English" reports. They are very entertaining and very much, enjoyable to read.
Let their comments, slide off your back Alain, everyone else knows better! At least you try to learn our language, it's more than I can say about us Americans, who do not "bother" to learn the French Language!
If anyone does not like Alain's Reports just pass by them, don't bother to read them. But I will tell you, you will be missing out on something. They have turned into the highlight of my day, as I open up VFTT to see where Alain has gone next.

Pin Pin RULES

We love you pin pin and pinpin jr we send lots of fresh carrots to you.I've followed pin pin since the days of the canisters on "trailess" peaks.My kids grew up reading his crazy entries in the canister notebooks and one of my sons highlights of hiking was running and I mean running into pinpin on an epic winter hike.I have a fantastic picture of Alain,the queen,and three little rabbit friends when he had completed 46x46!!!Keep the reports coming and ignore the few ugly americans that know not what they say.I met you again last year on way to sawteeth and introduced you to my new trail traveler Bee bear the dancing bear.
If you plant ice you're gonna harvest wind (GD)

Looks like I missed some fireworks!

Dang, this is a tight outfit!

Anyway, I have also come to love reading PinPin's work and always love to see more! My selfish reasons include both the valuable trail info (for which this site especially ROCKS in the winter!) and the fabulous opportunity to hear 'our language' worked over so musically.

But this stuff also tweaks the New Englander AMERICAN in me! Vive la fraternite.

PinPin, if someone here dissed you (or even just lost his mind for a minute), bury it in the deepest sea and keep on truckin'. It brightens days around here and (yes, mavs00) provides a priceless commodity.

Peace-'n'-Love-'n'-Jerry,

--Mike.

There's no need to slam hikers from downstate NY or NJ in this thread. I do not find that any different from slamming Pin Pin and is completely unnecessary. I am from NJ and I hike with other folks from NJ, the Catskills region of NY and NYC. We are responsible hikers. We carry our crampons and snowshoes and wear our crampons and snowshoes as conditions dictate. Geographic location has nothing to do with being a responsible and considerate hiker.

I had the "honor" of meeting Pin Pin several years ago hiking the Dix range. It was the day I finished by 46. It certainly added to my day. Pin Pin keep your posts and reports coming. They are appreciated by many on VFTT.

When I saw the post last evening, I sent an apology to PinPin on behalf of the board. I was humiliated for his, having to read the rant of some ignorant, American inbred.
I don't I'm stepping out of bounds by saying there was a PM from PinPin waiting for me today where he said that he wanted us to delete his trip report on the Trail Conditions if I felt it insulted people.
PinPin is a treasure here, and as I said, we'll hunt down the "----------" who posted it.

In case you haven't seen this on the other thread, Darren the bloodhound posted this:
"Gee, you think 'adirondackanomaly' would be smart enough not to post from a NYS state computer when he tells people who complain about postholers to go back to Jersey. I'm sure Mr. Curran would not be happy to know that his network is being used for such nonsense.
---------------------
OrgName: NYS OFFICE OF REAL PROPERTY SVCS
OrgID: NORPS
Address: 16 SHERIDAN AVE.
City: ALBANY
StateProv: NY
PostalCode: 12201

NetRange: 12.107.137.128 - 12.107.137.255
CIDR: 12.107.137.128/25
NetName: NYS-OFFI54-137-128
NetHandle: NET-12-107-137-128-1
Parent: NET-12-0-0-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2002-02-21
Updated: 2002-02-21

RTechHandle: MC1784-ARIN
RTechName: Curran, Mark
RTechPhone: +1-518-473-0807
RTechEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: MC1784-ARIN
OrgTechName: Curran, Mark
OrgTechPhone: +1-518-473-0807
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

-------------------

The trail condition section of this site is NOT a chat room. It is for posting trail conditions only. It is not a place for discussions and certainly not a place to post idiotic rants.

Trail condition posts are IP and time stamped and it is pretty simple to look up the IP address and find out where it came from. It is also pretty easy to cross reference it with the member list here.

- darren

Last edited:
Out of bad comes good.

As the dust settles on this unfortuneate "international" :) incident it's great to see the "family" rally behind one of its beloved members.

I can see the diplomatic repurcussions now as George W apologises, hat in hand, to Stephen Harper for the way Pin-Pin was mis-treated by an American citizen on none other but VFTT's trail conditions page.

Go Pin-Pin! Go VFTT!

Pete_Hickey said:
I don'T give two hoots about the trail conditions, however I just like reading the reports.

Yeah, what he said.

Reading a PinPin report reminds me of an experience deep in the nighttime woods years ago. In the middle of nowhere at about 2:00 a.m., and several hours into a search for a missing kid, my headlamp beam was snagged by the sight of a finely-detailed elf house. Whoever built it provided the same sort of lighthearted moment that I derive from reading any of PinPin's creative whimsy.

Keep it coming.

After reading this post, I self-edited myself. The post encouraged others who wished, to contact the I.T. person in the above post. I already did so, but was a bit overzealous. Sorry.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that someone felt the need to attempt to "anonymously" bash a respected contributor and clutter the site. But, I'm glad to know that trail conditions are being monitored as well. VFTT trail conditions have been a huge part of my hiking experience. I don't think I've done a big hike without checking VFTT since I found the site.

And the "color commentary" is half the fun, nevermind the each-to-his-own outlook on trail conditions. I know I've posted conditions that varied widely in "outlook" from others that hiked the same trail in the same time period. I didn't go bashing their opinion. You take it for what it is. And of course, I hope for the same. (And so far, haven't had a single bad experience.)

Here's hoping trail conditions remain, as always, an excellent source of information.

Thank You

Hi every member of this site and outside people readers or users my trip reports. ;)

We have not (Junior & Alain) the word to tell You How much You touch our heart our tripe......... :)

Just a Big THANK YOU..............

We appreciate the moderators work, You are the garanty of the serioux of this site.

We will forget the mad and always remember your support.... ;)

Pinpin Junior :D

glad I missed it.....

I guess I thankfully missed some bashing. I can only echo the words of previous posters by saying I thoroughly enjoy PinPin Jr and the many, many others who post trail reports and trail conditions. I'm glad to see that Darren and the moderators are addressing this as well, (although it's unfortunate that it developed in the first place). Keep up all the great work. Lance

Alain, you have much more support here, from people that really appreciate friendship on and off the mountains. Those that seem bent on criticism are truly alone. A free forum is not the place to hide and bully from just because they feel anonymous. To hell with them!

I’ve known Alain for 8 years starting with a chance encounter in the Sewards. I have come to recognize you provide a valuable service to many of us and it is truly appreciated.

Till next time………..Harry and I will bring some Maudite and we can laugh about all this! See you at the Winter 46 gathering.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.