Middle/South Carters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing Middle and South Carter and was thinking about getting to them by checking out Imp Face first which I have never done.

#1 - Is that a good route?
#2 - Looking at the map, it shows the 'P' for parking it looks like a little ways up the road off 16? The 'P' doesn't even look like there are trailheads there. Wondering if that is a mistake. Is there parking at either of those Imp Trails that show 0.3 apart along the road?

I could also do 19MBT but I have already done this trail when I did Hight and Carter Dome some years ago. Kinda wanted to check out some new trails.

I have not done either of the Imp Trails. Was thinking ascending the upper one to hit Imp Face, out to Middle and South Carter and backtrack up to North Carter before back down the lower Imp Trail. About 13.4 miles. Might be biting off a bit more than I want to chew with that length for a day hike but I think it is do-able.

My main question is about the parking though. Any other feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, there is room for a few cars at either end of the Imp trail. I haven't been on the section between the face and the North Carter Tr, but the rest of this loop is fine. Be aware that the climb up North Carter from this side is quite steep in a few sections.

You should have plenty of parking room at either trailhead..personally, I like going up South Imp branch to North Carter Trail, up to Carter Moriah Trail, hit the peaks the way you described, then come down over the North Imp branch..that section of trail sort of "skirts" the top of the ravine that is steep but not apparent as it is wooded....that way you can take a final break at Imp Face to enjoy the view and snack before descent..trailheads only .3 apart so it's easily doable with only 1 vehicle...no fee it's just a wide area on the east side of Rt. 16 in both spots with trail signs...enjoy hope you have clear weather!

Last edited:
I find the lower section of South Imp trail kind of boring especially the lower section which was rerouted years ago to get it away from Camp Dodge. The easiest route that doesnt require a car spot with a very short roadwalk is park at 19 mile brook trail, walk north on Rt 16 to Camp Dodge. Follow the main road into camp dodge and walk straight up the hill. A logging road runs into the woods with a building just to its right as it enters the wood. Follow this road up hill until you hit an obvious trail crossing at right angles. The road is grown in bit with high grass but it gets enough use most of the year that there is always a path. Now turn right onto the upper section of South Imp trail, make a broad turn north and go up the hill via an old well graded logging road to the intersection of North Carter trail. Follow North Carter Up to the AT and then turn right (no need to go to North Carter as its not on the list) and walk south and guess where the summits of Middle and south carter are (no signs), the go down to the next interection and head down to 19 mile brook trail and back to the car.

To add in Imp Face means a long road walk or car spot

Ditto to what Peakbagger has suggested. Lauky and I have done the loop several times. We usually add Mt. Height and Carter Dome. Carter Dome does count and Mt. Height which does not count offers far and away the best views of the day.

For getting out from there I find the Carter Dome trail a bit faster than the Carter Moriah trail. The views are a bit better on the Carter Moriah trail. That trail gets to be quite steep which can be a bit tedious going down.