Midnight Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsxc

Reaction score
EDIT: A few pics are posted below.
I went to a party with my friends tonight, but wasn't really having a good time. I left around 11:30 and went back to my room. While walking across the quad, I realized what a beautiful night it was. So, when I got back, I tossed a headlamp, spare layer, granola bar, and back up light in a backpack and went for a walk in the Brunswick Commons.

I didn't go far. Didn't go fast either, but that wasn't the point. It was just good to be outside instead of standing around at a party or watching some junk TV show back at my room. I brought my camera and a mini tripod, but the pictures are only so-so (might post them later). I'll admit that some stretches were pretty eerie and the stuff by the marshes was spooky. But it's good to push limits and have the hair stand up on the back of your neck every once in a while. Besides, as a reward, the chorus frogs and spring peepers serenaded me as I walked back across the soccer fields.

This was possibly the most spontaneous hike I've done this year. Actually, I know it was, because the time between my thinking "hey, a hike sounds good," and hitting the trail was under an hour. I have found that a little sponteneity goes a long way in keeping an activity fun and enjoyable. Some of my favorite runs are ones that started out as short 4 mile recovery jaunts and turned into 12 mile epics because of a few "I wonder where this goes..." decisions.

Wow! It's 4 AM. I should be asleep. Too bad my roommate is still awake and talking to his California buddies.:mad: Oh well, I did have a very nice and peaceful hike. Views were limited to what my BDEL headlamp could illuminate in the fog, but that's part of the fun.

Last edited:
Didn't go fast either, but that wasn't the point. It was just good to be outside instead of standing around at a party or watching some junk TV show back at my room.

Wise beyond your years! It took me longer to figure that out. That's a nice area for a midnight ramble - nature, but not entirely uncivilized. (Earlier in the evening, you might have enjoyed a wonderful concert by the Bowdoin Orchestra and Chorus - beautiful music by Schubert, Mendelssohn and Cherubini, beautifully performed.)

Sounds like a great Friday night to me! Parties are frequently overrated, but the fresh air never is!!:D

Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a great hike -- spontaneous, and with a headlamp. I love reading TRs like this. Inspires me to do that with Tecumseh one night. Just take off and do it at midnight. Must do that this summer.

Nice report--brings back some fond memories. Thanks for sharing the story.

Some pics for clarification

I started out by the Polar Bear. He was backlit beautifully by the stars, too bad it didn't come out the way I saw it.

4222_192599105453_793720453_6757043_2632491_n.jpg

Literal water under the bridge. This tiny rapid brightens my day when I run by it during the day. It's much more photogenic at night though.
4222_192599135453_793720453_6757049_1470202_n.jpg

The small stone bridge over the second "stream" crossing. Again, it's much prettier at night.
4222_192599140453_793720453_6757050_7423627_n.jpg