Mileage?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

Reaction score
Hi there,

If I were to leave & return to the Upper Works trailhead & climb Skylight & Gray, how many miles would I have traveled? :confused:

NYS mileage signs; confused? You bet I'm amused!

Ken

KenG said:
If I were to leave & return to the Upper Works trailhead & climb Skylight & Gray, how many miles would I have traveled? :confused:
I think about 17-18, if you mean going past Up-hill lean to, then on to Lake Tear, and then up and down both peaks (via the trail and traditional herd path) and back. There are of course other more direct ways that involves a lot more whacking!

In the Winter, you could save a little mileage by walking over Flowed Lands.

I don't have my maps here but I would think it was about 19 miles...I think its 7.2 miles from UW to Uphill LT, say .3m(?) to Feldspar, it has to be 1 mile or more up the Feldspar trail, then .5(?) to Skylight and .3(?) to Gray...that's 9.3 times 2 or 18.6...round to 19....

Hikerdad said:
I don't have my maps here but I would think it was about 19 miles...I think its 7.2 miles from UW to Uphill LT, say .3m(?) to Feldspar, it has to be 1 mile or more up the Feldspar trail, then .5(?) to Skylight and .3(?) to Gray...that's 9.3 times 2 or 18.6...round to 19....
Ok, I'll give you the mile! :D

Thank you adkleadog! It seemed to me to be about 22+ miles, I just wasn't sure. I took my sweet time, talked to a lot of people, & took a lot of pictures in the Flume, & it took me 14 hours! There were some other drawbacks; 4' max of snow pack & really dodgey footing! But it was a ball! :D

That seems long to me... I was thinking more in the 18-mile range like Tom. Then again... Black Spruce spoke up (and I don't want to tick her off!) :p

KenG has short legs... he just thought it was long! ;)

1ADAM12, 1ADAM12

There was 4' (+) of snowpack going up Skylight! I was lucky, I'm of small stature, ~135 -140#'s; I could walk one foot either side of the center of the trail & not posthole. The descent was kinda dicey though! But, one nice thing was that I hiked the entire route in a sleeveless techwick shirt & shorts so that's gotta tell you how fast the snow is disappearing! Late start, 8:30h, took my sweet time & enjoyed the hell out of the trip, ended @ 22:30h. :eek:

CHRISTINE,

I still have to do a trip report on last w/e's hike before I think of ending it on Marcy! That sounds so macaub. I thought about ending it last w/e, I mean it was only 1.8m, but I decided not to. Plus, there were soooooo many people on Marcy that day! I was alone on both Skylight & Gray. I met Scott from NM as I was packing to leave Skylight & I met a guy & his Dad (I assume) about 100m from the trail up Gray, on my way down.

I'm debating which route to take, but I'll tell you this, it's gonna be a night flight! Actually, I'd like to start from Adk. Lodge & end @ OPC, whaddya think? :confused:

adkleaddog,

It's always an awesome day in the Adirondaks! Donchano! :cool:

BUBBA,

Excelsior, dude! Dinnie dreg y'ar muck aboot Tuk! Go man go!!!!! :D

Sorry 'bout that, two mistakes! 1) 4' (+) was supposed to be 4' (max), & 2) macaub was a mispelling of macabre! I'm a lousy speller & I've designed about seven sets of stairs this week, with rise (+) or run (-), I guess it comes with the territory! ;) :rolleyes: