Mixed feelings for Slide - Cornell - (The) Wittenberg - 10/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok, first the good. The weather was awesome! We got some great pics, and we'll post them eventually.

Started as the title says at Slide, around 8:45. Easy going all the way up to the top. Saw no one. The fog lifted as we milled around the summit.

Off to Cornell. Just as we were starting down the 'stairs', 2 guys come up the stairs. I was looking over towards Dink, wanting a pic. As I slide off the trail, the first guy asks me how my day is going. Just at that instant, I step in some leaves and start tumbling down the slope! :eek: I catch a branch and avoid a nasty drop! I've now got a searing pain on the side of my leg. Turns out to be just a raspberry (or maybe a strawberry!) type of scrape. A little sore the rest of the hike, but ok.

Cornell was the final C35 for Paula! Congratulations! We hung out at the first view rocks for a while and even longer at the summit, taking pics, drinking champagne and beer, and eating snacks. Mmmmmmmmmm.

In between, we noted the top of the VBS trail. It's a secret! :D

On to 'Wit'. Another spectacular view and I drop down under the grassy area to explore the 'caves'. Not really caves but some overhanging ledges and some hairy scrambling.

Down to the car by 4:20. The 2 guys from the top hang out with us at the P.A. for another beer and some snacks. Beautiful day, except for.......

The illegal camp sites, fire rings, garbage, underwear, etc. that seem to be EVERYWHERE from Slide all the way over to Wit. :eek: :mad: :confused: I lost track of the fire rings after a dozen or so, including all 3 summits. I tried to disburse some of them when I could. I think I know the reasons for this, but I will let you form your own opinions.

Most of the day was great, just wish people wouldn't trash the mountains.

A day of highs and lows, Tom. It is disheartening to see such trash. Once hiking up Witt from Woodland Valley campground we walked over a couple who were camped ON the trail. :rolleyes: We gave them dirty looks and trod across a foam pad but said nothing.