Moat Mtn. Range/Big Daddy lives!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I hiked the MMT from Passaconaway Rd. to North Moat summit and back across this beautiful ridge, a wonderful trail on such a nice day. There is no snow at all, and hikers who came up from the north end reported snow-free trails as well. There are many blowdowns b/w Middle and North, but all passable enough.

I saw two young bulls on my way to the trailhead on the Kancamagus. They didn't hang around and I wasn't in the mood to track because I had a long hike ahead of me and perfect weather.

moatrange-8.jpg

The rhodora is close to fully bloomed, and there is tons of it on South and Middle. This hummingbird moth was in the same patch where I saw one last spring.

moatrange-9.jpg

moatrange-10.jpg

The trail from South to Middle is nice open hiking with beautiful views. B/w Middle and North there is thick, huge spruce. There are a few patches of trailing arbutus ( I think ) along the trail.

moatrange-2.jpg

I was the first hiker of the day through this stretch as evidenced by all the spider webs I had to savage or duck.

moatrange-7.jpg

I'm trying to learn all the birds that live in the forest, and recognize them by sound. There were a few songbirds along this stretch that were quite vocal. I think I heard Swainson's Thrush.

I think this is a Magnolia Warbler...

moatrange-6.jpg

Black-throated Blue Warbler?

moatrange-4.jpg

The view from North Moat summit is unmatched in the White Mtns., IMO

moatrange-5.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
This snake was much freindlier than the cranky one I saw last week.

moatrange-1.jpg

Just blooming or soon to bloom is canada mayflower, twisted rose stalk, alpine azalea, and lady's slipper.

moatrange008.jpg

I also saw this Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (?)

moa.jpg

and this flowering shrub

moatrange-3.jpg

It was a fantastic hike on a gorgeous day. I soaked my feet for a while in the Swift River and took a nice nap until it was near dusk. Then I went for a moose cruise on the Kancamagus. I saw a yearling moose cross the road and also saw two large black bears ramble across the road. Wow, do they disappear fast! They're big and healthy-looking. It was really dark on my way out but I finally saw a moose I call "Big Daddy". I've seen him for five springs in a row now. I was worried that he was killed in the hunt. He's lost a little weight but he'll put it back on now and then some. I was able to sit down and watch him drink and browse from about ten feet away. Big Daddy lives!

moatrange.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Great report and pics. We were enjoying the same hike yesterday but my son was not feeling great and we bailed at middle.Still a beautiful day on a great ridge. It blows my wife's mind how you are able to get so many great moose pics. Any tips?