monopod or IS ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm stepping up to Canon L glass...the 70-200mm L f/2.8 :). There is a $600.00 difference between IS and non-IS. I always use a monopod now, so what are your thoughts about the value of the added $600.00?

Am I correct when I turn off my IS when I use the monopod, as is always the case now? The manual says to turn it off when using a tripod.

Also, any recommendation on where to buy the lens?

Thanks for your comments.

Hey all,

I'm stepping up to Canon L glass...the 70-200mm L f/2.8 :). There is a $600.00 difference between IS and non-IS. I always use a monopod now, so what are your thoughts about the value of the added $600.00?

My 70-200mm Nikon zoom has an image stabilization feature, and it works. Worth the extra cost? For me, probably. For you, I don't really know.

Am I correct when I turn off my IS when I use the monopod, as is always the case now? The manual says to turn it off when using a tripod.

I leave the VR (Nikon's version of IS) engaged in a "normal" mode when using a monopod. Results are very satisfactory.

Also, any recommendation on where to buy the lens?

I always recommend B&H Photo-Video. Mainstream retailer, good prices, and consistently fine service.

G.

I've seen comments from pundits to the effect that leaving the IS on when using a tripod causes no problems. And a monopod is not as stable as a tripod.

Haven't made any direct comparisons myself.

For me, IS has been worthwhile (I shoot mostly handheld), but it adds to the weight, size, and (as you note) cost.

Ken Rockwell has some potentially useful comments in http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/image-stabilization.htm and in his review of the Canon 70-200 F4 L IS lens http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-200mm-f4-is-sharpness.htm.

Doug

I cannot commnet on IS since I have never used it but with a 3+ lb lens, you're either going to spend $600 on IS or about $400 on a solid tripod. What the monopod lacks in stability it makes up for it in versatility. Pick your poison. I also would recommend B&H.

JohnL

The question as to whether IS is worth it or not really depends.

For me, it wasn't. I have the 70-200 f/4 L without IS. I haven't regretted it at all. Of course, I don't photograph wildlife and I always have a full-sized tripod lashed to my pack (for bracketing problematic exposures, waterfalls, panos, etc.) I don't miss the IS in the least, so the extra money wouldn't be worth it to me.

I know that you shoot a lot of moose. If you find yourself doing this at long focal lengths in low light conditions without the chance to break out a tripod, it may very well be worth it for you. $600 worth it? Not for me, but maybe for you.

As for turning off IS on a tripod, this is direct from Canon:

"The IS mechanism operates by correcting shake. When there is no shake, or when the level of shake is below the threshold of the system’s detection capability, use of the IS feature may actually *add* unwanted blur to the photograph, therefore you should shut it off in this situation. Remember that the IS lens group is normally locked into place. When the IS function is active, the IS lens group is unlocked so it can be moved by the electromagnetic coil surrounding the elements. When there’s not enough motion for the IS system to detect, the result can sometimes be a sort of electronic ‘feedback loop,’ somewhat analogous to the ringing noise of an audio feedback loop we’re all familiar with. As a result, the IS lens group might move while the lens is on a tripod, unless the IS function is switched off and the IS lens group is locked into place.”

I'm not sure if that applies to a monopod since there may still be enough movement to make it worthwhile. I'd take some test shots with IS on and off and compare the two.

And I'll third the B&H recommendation. You generally pay slightly more there than at other places, but the piece of mind is worth it. Photo gear is their bread and butter, so if you have a problem, you will be dealing with somebody that knows what they're talking about and will bend over backwards to fix it.

Last edited:
B&H B&H B&H
Other than your own local store, there is no better.

Now, as for IS ... do you ever take shots of moving wildlife? If so, you want the monopod with your 70-200's IS mode 2. Mode 2 will do vertical stabilization while allowing (expecting) horizontal movement as you track your target. This works extremely well - it's how I used a borrowed 70-200 f/2.8L to shoot una_dogger at the Boston Marathon this past year.

Only you know how you set up, but if you find that you need to reposition the camera a lot, even on a tripod, get the IS. You can always turn it off when you don't need it, but if you go handheld at all, especially in weak light, it's a saver.