Monroe 9/11 hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
This hike had a dual purpose (for me): hitting No. 47 on the hit parade of peaks -- Mt. Monroe -- and participating in the now-annual 9/11 memorial Flags of the 48 hike.

SherpaK, FantasmaGris and I spotted a car at Edmands, then headed to the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. As we were doing our last minute rituals to get ready to hit the trail, an SUV pulled up alongside us, a man and his yellow lab got out while his passenger remained in her seat. The dog was clearly anxious to get started and his owner cried out, "Jessie!" beckoning him back to the car. She dutifully returned to her master.

I turned to Sherpa and said, "Hey, could that be Terry?" I'd seen many posts over the years from the infamous, some would say notorious, Terry, and trip reports featuring her, her pooch, Jessie, and her husband, Wayne. At first, Sherpa looked at me like I was nuts. But he boldy approached the car and asked the woman in the front seat if she was Terry. Sure enough, in the flesh!

I gotta say, regardless the notoriety, it was a thrill to finally meet a Web legend!

The three of us hit the Ammo Trail around 7:45 a.m. The recent rains had left it wet and muddy. At the Gem Pool, we watched an excited Jessie splash around, while Sherpa shed the lower part of his convertible pants and Gris took some shots of the waterfall. Here's where the real fun begins: steep, steep, steep. I concentrated on just putting one foot in front of the other, and was thankful I was ascending this trail instead of going down it!

Gris and I made a detour to check out the Gorge. It was well worth it. As I gazed at the water cascading down, I wondered how long it would be before the rocks were totally melted away by the rush of water. Definitely not in my lifetime but just one of the many questions I ponder whenever I'm out in the woods.

As we hit treeline, we spied some amazing undercloud off in the distance, and within an hour or so, we started to hear the first of the trains from the Cog Railway make it way up Big George's shoulder.

I'm not a huge fan of ledges, and there were spots on this trail that the rock was wet and slippery. But there were enough dry spots mixed in and much of the rock was rough and ridged for good footing.

Garrett passed us with his flagpole in tow, and just before the hut, we ran into SilentCal carting his 9/11 Flags on the 48 gear as well. They were on track to be on top of Monroe well before the noon deadline.

We hit the hut at a decent hour, and took a short break. I refilled with water, downed a Snickers bar and checked out the dining area. I'd never been to Lakes of the Clouds Hut before and found this one seemed to be even more filled with lore and history than many of the others.

Monroe was well within sight. SherpaK had bounded up ahead of us, with Gris and I behind. There's something that happens to me above treeline and I find I'm captivated by all that's around me, particularly on an amazingly beautiful day such as this. I feel like a kid in a candy store -- and I want it all! Mt. Washington was relatively unobscured but it was Monroe that called out to me. The nicely laid out stairs along its northern approach seemed to beckon me to come closer.

SherpaK and Gris were there awaiting my arrival (what else is new! :D ), SilentCal, Brian, Garrett and a few others whose names I never caught -- including an awesome clarinet player who's made this trip the past three years -- were getting things ready for the memorial.

Garrett -- I was truly moved by the materials you brought reminding us of why we particpate in this memorial hike. I was amazed at the emotions that came bubbling back to the surface, the pain remains raw. For me, the best way to soothe that hurt is to head to the mountains. I hope it also brought some solace to you and others directly and personally touched by the attacks.

The clarinet came out as the flags were unfurled, and we spent a moment singing the national anthem, humming God Bless America and then breaking out into a little blues: Summertime, and the Livin' is Easy.

For Sherpa, Gris and I, it was time to head off. But it was indeed particularly moving to hear the sounds of the clarinet wafting over the mountainside while we inched our way along the Crawford Path. We stopped from time to time to see what other flags atop the peaks we could spot. Binoculars would have come in handy since the clear skies would have meant tons of sightings.

After a break atop Mt. Franklin, the boys picked up speed, while I slowed down. It seemed I'd take five steps, and have to stop, take in the views, snap some photos, then take five steps and start the whole view-gazing all over again!

Just below the base of Mt. Eisenhower, Gris called out from atop the summit that he and Sherpa would meet me at the Mooseland Grill later that night. They were continuing on their southern prezzie traverse. I was of two minds: It'd be nice to continue along Crawford Path, but it sure would be nice to get to the Mooseland at a decent hour and grab a brew! So, I went down Edmands Path. :cool:

#47 down, one more to go. Destination: Isolation.

Thanks to all who participated in the Flags on the 48 hike this year!

Pix can be seen at: http://community.webshots.com/album/186697359EchkAP

I tried, I tried. But it kept saying "corrupted file" or somesuch. Must've been the image in the photo! ;)

Ahhh, you could hear me down there! Great pics. I'll try to throw some more pics and a real comment up this weekend - including the infamous "Terry pics." I suffering from a big weekend and waiting pile of work right now.

"...the awesome clarinet player...." on Monroe on September 11th was Gary Hunter, a long-time Manchester, NH, resident and New England rock & ice climbing activist, not to mention back-country skier extraordinaire. I felt priviledged to join Gary with his clarinet and GO with his flag for some quality time on Monroe this year. The gathering at the Mooseland Grill afterwards was a delight as well. Hope to see you again on Monroe and at the Mooseland next year.