Monroe Skyline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
From what I recall this is what happened,

I met up with Poison Ivy and Sal sometime in the morning hours at Appalacian Gap, around 8 a.m. if I recall correctly. I was not sure exactly where Appalacian Gap was and I was looking for a big hiker crossing sign on the side of the road. I did not see one, but I saw someone who looked exactly like Ivy, and lo and be-hold it was! I got out and introduced myself, and explained that my brain cells weren't functioning due to last night's/this morning's college re-union get together. We then waited a little while for Lawn Sale, but headed to Lincoln Gap a little while later figuring he would meet us there.

So we got to Lincoln Gap and started hiking around 9'ish, I think. It was a gentle climb up from the gap, I think the car did more climbing to get to the trailhead than we did to get to the first peak. There was a light mist falling from the sky, but other than that, it wasn't too bad weather wise. About 2/3 of the way up, we saw a figure come up from behind us moving at a much faster clip than us. It was Lawn Sale. So we had our introductions and then kept going up to Mt Abraham. We reached the top at some point in time later, I'm not sure when, as most of the morning was a blur for me. Once at the top I broke open my $2 box of doughnuts and had my first snack. They weren't bad for gas station doughnuts.

We then walked on the ridgeline over to Lincoln Peak. On the way over we stopped and saw the plane wreckage that is just off the side of the trail. It was pretty interesting, looked like it was a pretty small plane. We took some pics and then walked over to Lincoln Peak. The guide book says that there are 360 degree views from the lookout porch at Lincoln Peak. We had the views, but they were of clouds and fog. After snapping a few pics, we kept on walking on the ridgeline for another mile or so until we got to the Castlerock lift area of Sugarbush. Which, by the way is great Old New England style ski trails and one of my favorite places I have skiied. We checked out the lodge and found it....open! So we took a break, and had some more food. Everyone had good healthy food while I attacked the doughnut box again. It was a nice break, and it felt good to get out of the light rain.

Our Next destination was Mt Ellen. Well... there were a few smaller peaks that Ivy was counting. So we went up and down a few small ridges and got to Mt Ellen, aka Sugarbush North and had no views again! Oh well. From there it was back into the woods until we got to the Mad River Glen ski area. When we got to MRG, we saw the single chair! It was really cool, so we all sat on it got our pictures taken. Very comfy too. We also took a break in the Stark's Nest lodge. That was a real nice little ski lodge that was kept open and very hospitable for Long Trail hikers. I finished up my doughnut box here and took a break for a while.

We then headed back out for the last 3 and a half miles or so through the woods. This was pretty uneventful, just lots of steep wet downhill. There was also a very large cave that Ivy went into but later emerged from. I think that's about it. The guide book says 11.1 miles and 2520 vertical. A nice gentle hike with some great company.I put up a few new pics from when it wasn't raining too much today. http://www.parazz.com/albums/kingtut

Last edited:
Thanks for the TR and the pictures. Made me homesick - lived about 45 minutes from there for 20 years. Used to see Abe, Sugarbush, etc everyday on my way to work.

Great report, King Tut... it was great to meet you. And of course, it's alwasy fun hiking with sal & Lawn Sale too. Thanks again to everyone in the group for coming along on this hike on such a icky weather day. The team was definitely what made the hike so much fun, and I didn't mind missing the views a bit.

Here are some more pictures...

- Ivy

poison ivy said:
Great report, King Tut... it was great to meet you. And of course, it's alwasy fun hiking with sal & Lawn Sale too. Thanks again to everyone in the group for coming along on this hike on such a icky weather day. The team was definitely what made the hike so much fun, and I didn't mind missing the views a bit.

Here are some more pictures...

- Ivy
Those pics look just like the day we did it last summer! :eek: :D

Great trip report, King Tut! Although the weather never cleared, it was a great hike with lots of points of interest - plane wreck, lodges & shelters, single chair, ladders, cave that only Ivy explored! . So good to meet and hike with you, King Tut and Lawn Sale, and always a pleasure to hike with Poison Ivy.

sal