Moose noise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbarossa

Reaction score
Sunday morning I was at the top of an open birch grove. Down below I heard 'cu-unh!, cu-unh!. cu-unh!

Shortly after, a mid-size bull moose stepped into view. We stared for a while and he left when I tried to move closer.

The noise was hardly melodic, but the second syllable sounded about a note or two lower.

Does anyone know what Bullwinkle was trying to say?

I'm jealous :D Very cool encounter! The only volcalization I've heard from adult moose is more like "urt...urt...urt". I've heard this many times, but never the sound that you describe. My guess is that it's related to the rut, since this is the heart of the rutting season.

Happy Trails :)

The previous day I encoutered 3 moose at once & heard a fourth lowing off in the distance. I was glad that this guy didn't say 'Stop looking at my girlfriend! :mad:' Trust me, he is much bigger than he looks here.

I did get to hear him snort, however.

forestgnome said:
The only volcalization I've heard from adult moose is more like "urt...urt...urt".

That is the sound that I have always heard, too. My neighbor up at my Rangeley camp has a moose call, which also makes the "urt, urt, urt" sound.

Sounds like you encountered a Quebec moose who migrated south. :cool: :rolleyes:

Marty

Barbarossa said:
The previous day I encoutered 3 moose at once & heard a fourth lowing off in the distance. I was glad that this guy didn't say 'Stop looking at my girlfriend! :mad:' Trust me, he is much bigger than he looks here.

I did get to hear him snort, however.

Very cool!!! He has a nice spread on that rack. Thanks!

happy Trails :)

I remember a friend up in Quebec trying to teach me a moose call.
It was very much like you heard.
...thing was we were in a restaurant at the time. I was a bit shy to try it then, but it didn't stop him in the least. Funny thing was nobody seemed to notice one way or the other !
Very good luck you had !!

Haunting moose-coyote vocalizations

A couple of Friday nights ago we were over at some friends' home in Waterville Valley, sitting out by a small campfire around 9pm. We heard a pack of coyotes calling, yapping, and howling back in the National Forest, maybe a quarter of a mile into the woods (up in the east end of the WV trail network, if you know the area) for several minutes, clearly very excited. It sounded like four or five, maybe more animals all fairly tightly clustered.

A few minute later, we heard what sounded like a cow bawling loudly. My initial guess was it was a bear, but as we listened astonished, the sound of the coyotes calling came back, then merged with the desparate bawling of what must have been a moose, either taken down by the coyotes, or down already then beset by the coyotes. This went on for quite a while, as we all sat in silence by the fire, chills running up and down our spines.

It was, quite literally, a wild experience.