Moosilauke and Tecumseh Doubleheader

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnof

Reaction score
The gameplan for Tuesday was to get on the road by 4:30a, hike Moosilauke in the morning, and inspired by the Summit Cheeseburger concept, grab said victual in Lincoln before hiking Tecumseh. It worked out perfectly, and I was back home in CT by 8:45p.

I love the property the Dartmouth Outing Club has at the base of Moosilauke. I'd like to stop and visit some day when I have more time. They have an incredible view of my destination: Moosilauke and South Moosilauke.

moos1 by cubist11, on Flickr

Touches like the wooden bridges on this trail, and the absolutely masterful stonework on way up the trail, make it both charming and easy to travel over. I wish I had more photos of the trail itself. It's really a piece of work.

moos2 by cubist11, on Flickr

Nearing the top, the wind picks up and clouds cruise over the rounded summit.

moos3 by cubist11, on Flickr

moos4 by cubist11, on Flickr

moos5a by cubist11, on Flickr

Looking back from the Benton Trail, it looks something like a burial mound.

moos6 by cubist11, on Flickr

The Carriage Road Trail made me wish I had brought trail runners with me. It's a very fast path along the ridge to South Moosilauke and down to the Snapper Trail.

moos7 by cubist11, on Flickr

Before I knew it, I was back in my car and off to Lincoln to grab an Angus Bacon and Cheese burger and shake, and hit the Mt. Tecumseh Trail towards 1:30. I didn't have great expectations for this hike, but I have to say that before long I was amazed at the painstaking work that was done with stones for steps as well as drainage. Awesome.

moos8 by cubist11, on Flickr

moos9 by cubist11, on Flickr

I caught a glimpse of motion next to me on the trail--it looked like a chipmunk had disappeared down this hole. I waited patiently for its head to pop out before realizing it wasn't a chipmunk at all.

moos10 by cubist11, on Flickr

The view from the top of Tecumseh is better than I remember from my last visit. Not a bad little summit, just scraping by at 4003 ft.

moos11 by cubist11, on Flickr

:D Mark