Moriah Brook-CM-Kenduskeag-Shelburne Trails, 8 July 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 8 July 2011

Trail Conditions: Moriah Brook Trail is in good shape for much of the way but had mud holes and was quite overgrown in places, particularly in the upper mile. There are several blowdowns that are annoying but not difficult. I had to take off my shoes for the two lowest crossings of Moriah Brook but easily rockhopped the others. The lower two are probably hoppable with grace and longer legs, neither of which I possess. Carter-Moriah Trail is in fine condition between MB trail and Mount Moriah. No problems. Kenduskeag Trail is in good shape from Moriah to Rattle River Trail. The descent off Moriah is steep. After the Rattle River Junction the Kenduskeag trail becomes much rougher with several mud holes in the wooded sections and is overgrown in places. There is a good bit of bog bridging in the alpine sections and these are in good shape. Descent from Shelburne-Moriah is very steep and rough. Shelburne Trail is very overgrown in the uppermost mile. In a few places I had difficulty locating the trail. There were several annoying blowdowns. The treadway become progressively clearer after about a mile. The ford of the Wild River was just below my knees and was an easy and refreshing crossing.

Special Equipment Required: Typical summer kit will suffice. Poles were very handy for dancing around mud holes.

Comments: Optional - Bugs were not an issue except for the Shelburne Trail. This is an outstanding 15-mile loop if you are not averse to rough, out-of-the-way trail.

Your name: vegematic