Mount Crawford 08-24-13 : What a great summit...and not too busy!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My buddy and I hiked Mount Crawford this past weekend. We wanted to do something somewhat short and not too strenuous. Originally, we targeted Hale, but where the weather was going to be so great, we decided to look for something with more views. Crawford was a bit of a gamble for us as the only trip reports I've seen from Crawford are John's (1HappyHiker). He has taken amazing photos from Crawford's summit...but he can take amazing photos from a summit that has not so great views...so it's hard to gauge from his handy work. Once we got to the summit, we were extremely happy with our choice. No clouds, blue skies, 360 degree views...also the trail maintainers have done a phenomenal job on the first portion of the Davis Path! My full trip report is here if you're interested...please visit! http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.com/2013/08/well-after-hike-theres-nothing-like.html

Here are some of my favorite pics:

11-IMG_5962.JPG

Mount Washington!

02-IMG_5927.JPG

Bemis Bridge over the Saco

16-IMG_5968.JPG

I can't say enough good things about this trail

06-IMG_5946.JPG

View to the south at the first view point. I think this is Chocorua

08-IMG_5955.JPG

My buddy, Alex, on the trail heading to the summit!

10-IMG_5960.JPG

Stairs Mountain

11-IMG_5962.JPG

Mount Washington and Mount Monroe

12-IMG_5963.JPG

Southern Prezis

14-IMG_5966.JPG

The Conway Scenic Railroad train heading back to North Conway going over the trestle at the foot of Willey

13-IMG_5965.JPG

View to the south

15-IMG_5967.JPG

Rare view of Washington without a cloud in the sky

Very nice. That mountain is one of the best-kept not-so-well-kept secrets in the Whites. If it was 4,001 feet tall, it would be mobbed every nice day. I think your first and seventh photo are the same photo....it's ok, it's worth seeing twice. Nice zoom shot of the train.

Last edited:
Terrific photos. Middle Sugarloaf is also a great hike although shorter. The views are incredible with an extra treat of wild blueberries on the summit.

Its a good winter hike, too, for all the same reasons.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

@Billy - I think you're right on the duplicate photos. Sorry about that. I had two that were close to the same, and must have grabbed two of the same by an accident. The clouds certainly give it away. The zoom shot of the train was luck. I could barely see it from up there and pulled my camera out quickly with one hand (while holding my turkey wrap in the other) and snapped it. I was pleasantly surprised when I downloaded it on my PC that it came out okay.

@dbcooperisalive - I agree. Both Sugarloafs are great...especially middle. That summit is huge and a great place to spend an afternoon.

@DougPaul - Couldn't agree more. As someone who doesn't get up to the Whites as often as I'd like, I find myself choosing under 4k's due to not being in shape. I've found some great spots this way and wish they had more recognition!

@Stan - I will keep that in mind and will put it on my winter list. I'm sure that trail would be nice in a set of snowshoes!

Again, thanks for the comments!
Karl