Mount Dana (13,053ft) Via Tioga Pass

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK4Life

Reaction score
Montreal, Quebec Avatar : Minarets From Mammoth S
2 days after Mammoth we decided to head to the Yosemite high country. The drive up Tioga Pass is beautiful and a nice contrast in comparison to the over populated madness of the valley.

This was a straight forward hike from the Toiga Pass Kiosk. After 20 mins you find yourself in the most beautiful meadow of wild lupine and many other flowers. Its so scenic on this trail with the contrast of color and snow capped peaks, Yosemite is truly magical.

You ascend steep switchbacks from forest to slabs and eventually to boulder fields much like in the whites. At 11,500ft you reach a plateau and the summit reveals itself 1,500 feet above you. The trail becomes indefinite but route finding is very simple. At the steepest this is class 2 if not 1. The views are fantastic and a great contrast from the other hikes in the park. Descend however you feel comfortable to reach the trail. I started to feel the altitude at 12,000+ but never too much to slow me down. Nice hike in a beautiful park. I would recommend this hike to anyone.

We loved this one too, although we've only had a chance to climb it once. We had a perfect day, and this makes a super acclimatization hike for Whitney, with no logistical hassles. Highly recommended!

Fom the map, it looks like a little over 3000 ft elevation gain from Tioga Pass to the summit - what is the distance? How long did it take round trip?

I'm leaving for Yosemite on 8/15 and we're planning out what to do each day, any beta would be appreciated.

KZ

My GPS numbers put it at over 5 miles and 3,000ft elevation gain. You spend the first 1500 feet reaching a plateu, the summit presents itself 1500 feet above at this point. It looks close but is a real slog.

The trailhead is right at the tigoa pass/yosemite entrance station. If you dont see the trailhead just ask one of the employees. If you want a longer day give Matterhorn Peak a try.