Mount Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that the sign for the spur is gone and has been for a while but my question was the sign (my photo) in this post (#4). Some say it is gone and others say it is there.

Isolation Trail

We hiked the area in early July. Our biggest problem was the Isolation Trail going from Davis Path into the Dry River. Very overgrown. Obviously no maintenance in several years. Did it get cleared later this summer?

Not sure. Probably not since the upper parts of the Isolation Trail, East of Davis Path were a bit overgrown as well on 9/3. Noticed a lot of annual weed overgrowth on the Isol. & RB trails from Davis path to Rt. 16 as well.

I was there Sep 8. The Davis Path sign is on your right as you travel southbound. Approx 30-50 feet beyond the sign, the spur trail ascends abruptly on your right. It is quite obvious plus someone had laid out a triangle of small rocks ( not exactly a cairn ) at the base of the trail.

The Isolation trail is overgrown with several blowdowns, but it's not bad.

I think I would avoid the Dry River area after any significant rainfall.

Our trip was delayed due to the weather, but it does look like we are completing an abbreviated trip to Isolation tomorrow. I've never been the Glen Boulder route in the summer/fall. What's the water situation like? I remember some along the Isolation trail east of the ridge. Is that it?

thnx

I encountered NO reliable water sources once the Glen Boulder trail leaves its initial stream, until I refilled on the col between Mt Isolation and Mt Davis. Even that stream was pretty small, but I *think* the _Guide_ lists it as reliable.
Backup plan would be a detour to a tributary of Rocky Branch east of Davis Path, as you say.
Of course with recent wet weather water shouldn't be a problem.

There is water on the isolation trail, just south of davis (heading towards RB trail. It's a stream about 200ft past the designated campsites - look for the leaning tree an drop down the banking. I used it 2 wks ago.

J

Thanks for the information re: the water. We actually found a great stream at about 4200' elevation, between the two sections of the Isolation Trail.

As for the sign situation, Carol's post and picture describe it best http://community.webshots.com/photo/451359503/451369746aGWnAh

You can see a little small ledge in the sun on the right hand side of the trail. This is the spur. This is the only sign and location I can remember from ten years ago. Many of the signs in the area are new.

There is a nail on a tree at the entrance to the spur. I think that must be the location of the old spur sign. However, I don't remember it from years ago, either, so I think it's been missing for years.

The location of the sign is weird, however. My buddy commented when seeing the sign "What, is this just a reminder in case you forgot where you were?" Then the spur popped into view.

I guess it could be missed as the sign is high off the ground, but since the climb to this point is so gradual it is very obvious you are at the highest point in the area.