Mount Major

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
I'm determined to get out there this weekend even if the wife's away and I'm on major baby-sitting duty. I want to bring the young kids (2,5, & 7) on a hike up Major (never been) but I'm wondering how steep and "slabby" the main trail is. The 2 year-old will be in a backpack so she's not a factor but I'm wondering if my 5 year-old can handle it. The AMC guidebook makes it sound quite rigorous but I also know that it's a popular family hike - any thoughts?
Thanks

West Rattlesnake?

My wife took my kids to West Rattlesnake today. They are 4 and 6, and fairly active. It was a perfect hike for them. The 6 year old has made it up Pack Monadnock, with minimal assistance, but was too tired to climb down. It depends on how experienced they are. Both also made it up Kearsarge in the summer, from Rollins State Park. Rattlesnake, on paper, is longer with more elevation. I have to constantly resist the urge to push them too hard, lest they resent the very experience I wish them to enjoy.

With 2+ kids to distract you and to keep track of, be sure you pick some place they aren't going over the edge if they aren't under perfect voice control.

Please report back what you do, and how it went (at least PM me) so I know if I should take mine there. Or rather, when I should take mine there.

Tim