Mount Tecumseh- post Sandy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
Here are my pics: Only first 33 are pics of this hike- sorry for the mess up
http://s1343.photobucket.com/albums/o793/CrystalCreek7760/

My son Matt and I decided to hike Mount Tecumseh from the Tripoli Rd side on November 4th, 2012. Our only concern was the depth and current on the brook crossing at the beginning of the trail, it being soon after Hurricane Sandy. I had not been there in 16 years so my memory was failing me regarding the crossing. I sent a pm to Muhamed Allosey (sorry if spelled wrong) to see if he had any knowledge of the crossing seeing as how he wrote in a recent discussion about old abandoned trails on Tecumseh that he hiked this mountain quite often. He was very helpful and so we decided to give it a go.

We arrived at the Tripoli trail-head with 2 cars in the lot already, slipped on the hiking boots and gaiters, made last minute clothing adjustments and donned our hunters orange (having seen hunters coming out of the woods only a mile back down the road). We took the usual trail-head sign photos and started down for the first brook crossing at 9:55 am. Matt did not have waterproof hikers on so we headed up stream about 10 yards or so and hopped across on rocks (sweet, no need for trash bag shoes). The 2nd branch crossing was simple on an old slippery log laying in the brook. Hiking poles were useful here. It was cold, very cloudy and there were flurries.

The trail surface was heaven as I had remembered it, and we certainly were enjoying the soft footing and lack of rocks and roots after our hike last weekend up Mt. Jackson! Matt led the way and was keeping a strong pace that I found hard to stay with at first, especially as I was taking time to take photos. The woods were nice and open with mature trees and we soon had a bac view of the Osecola's. We ran into 3 or 4 blow-downs before the first saddle, most could be stepped over. Sometime around 2800 ft. we began seeing snow on the ground and branches, sweet! There was a big walk around blow-down before the final climb to the ridge with the 3 small mini peaks to it. When we came off that and headed the 300 feet down into the next broad saddle we had many crawl under blow-down trees. Probably 5 or 6 at least. Really annoying, thanks alot Sandy!!!

We did not really appreciate giving up elevation but were soon approaching the final steep ascent to the summit. It was rock stepping from here on up. We layered up before the final 150 ft. rise to the summit cairn. It was getting cold and windy with blowing flurries. The trees were covered with snow! It was beautiful for sure. On the summit we ran into 2 young guys from Ma. and their 2 dogs. Then a father and son and soon after another man arrived. We took our summit pics, looked for views and got none (all clouded in) and started back down to the broad saddle.

Here we stopped out of the wind and ate our subs and brownies and took a short break . When it was time to start out again we decided to just sling our pack over one shoulder so it would be easy to drag or toss under the blow-downs for the next 1/4 mile while re-gaining the 300 ft. again. We soon were on top of the triple mini peak area and heading down for the rest of the trip. It was steep and slippery on the steep downs and we backed down a few sections, using our poles to assist. Did this on the top section too when we first started down off the summit cone. We did not bother with micro-spikes today and had to layer down at the 2nd saddle. We enjoyed a nice steady grade from here on down while enjoying our peaceful hike back to our car. Ours was the only car in the lot when we arrived. We both agreed that the 2400 ft. of gain and 6.2 miles was easy for us today (feels good to have things start to feel easier;)). Me think it's time for a summit with more elevation gain and longer mileage so we can get into even better shape.:cool:

I have been exercising for 6 weeks now and hiking 4000 ft. summits 5 out of 6 weekends so I am starting to feel stronger and building some endurance. My son, well he is 25 years younger than me, need I say more. He has not been exercising but does stand all day on his new job and walks about 3 miles a day (oh and did I already mention he is 25 years younger). yeah, I thought I did. Oh to be 27 years old again (at least to have my body back). Oh well, I will make the most of what I've got and just keep building my conditioning and endurance. I am hoping to complete some more winter summits in the next few months. Hoping I can get my son out for winter hiking and I would like to get my old partner Dave Bear back out here too. We shall see....

Last edited:
Chris,
Nice hike! When we hiked Tecumseh we came up from Waterville Valley as it was winter. Slow and steady is the way to work up to the bigger mountains. You'll be ready in no time.

Donna:)

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it very much. Going after the Moose solo this weekend for a 2nd time (last time was my first solo ever back in 1999 I think). Weather should be fairly warm and low wind so I am looking forward to a nice day on Sunday. My son is standing this one out, other things planned but hopes to be back at it next weekend.