mountain river running

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
This is going to be a big spring with lots of water.
This year I'll be looking to check out some places that get to dry during the other months
Any nice WW out there to enjoy without breaking my neck.
I always look to see if folks are running the Swift for example but have yet to be on it cuz it looks to advanced.
Any tamer sections without going class IV...

I'll be checking the WW web sites but was wondering if anybody here has run some of the rivers in high water....sometimes they get smoother or rougher depending on the water levels..not looking to run any falls, though.

Don't know what is on websites these days but back when I was actively running white water, we used to use the "New England White Water River Guide" by Ray Gabler (1981) (the white water paddler's bible...) and the AMC River Guide (various regional sections). Both published by the AMC.

A quick check of the AMC website shows current editions of the AMC River guide, but not Gabler--guess it hasn't been updated. Don't know what the follow on would be. (The AMC guide didn't used to cover the harder water--don't know about the current editions.)

Rivers change--you want your guidebooks to be as current as possible.

Doug

Last year I picked up a copy of Classic Northeastern Whitewater Guide (AMC)including NY.
It has a bunch of info...difficulty, river levels, avg gradient stuff like that.
Mostly looking for levels 2 or 3.
I see Swift River near Bear Notch Road to Rocky Gorge might do the trick, but the Gorge and beyond would be more than I could handle....etc.

Wondering about Sawyer River, Dry River, Rocky Branch...that might have nice sections when the water is high....maybe sections of the Wild River...?