Mounts Liberty and Flume via Liberty Spring and Franconia Ridge Trails (2-2-13)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 2 February 2013

Ground Hogs Day Hike

Trail Conditions:

Liberty Spring Trail down low was a mix of ice, some snow, exposed trail, exposed rock and roots. On elevation, it tended to a mix of ice and crusty snow with some rocks exposed most of the way to the ridge. Middle of trail has a lot of ice flow. *The first and major water crossing has no consolidated snow bridge. The ice is tempting to try in spots but is slushy and thin and there is a lot of exposed water. We went upstream maybe 100 yards and crossed on a fallen tree that was relatively easy.

Franconia Ridge Trail from junction to Flume is mostly well packed snow. There are 3 blowdowns, one a large spruce near the bottom of the col that requires going around. Not difficult, but requires attention.

Special Equipment Required: I wore G-10s (crampons) - partner wore microspikes. I was happy to have the extra traction to be able to stay in the middle of the trail. Microspikes were not enough grip on the ice in middle of trail but the sides had plenty of crust so both worked. Snowshoes stayed on pack. No postholing.

The usual cold winter gear. It was 9 degrees in the lot and 4 on the ridge but with little wind in the trees, a pleasant temp to hike in. I had a parka over my fleece jacket for about half the time. Stopping for long, it felt cold.

Comments: There is not much snow left. Let's hope for more. A great day to hike though with nice, cloudy views of the rest of the ridge and the Pemi from up high. I broke the center bar on my left crampon near the summit of Liberty on the return. The trip down was fine with only one crampon although it took paying careful attention to the ice. First break after more than 10 years. Thanks for a great hike G!

Last edited: