MSR Reactor anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard of any performance reviews, but it sure is a lot more money than the JetBoil...

Jay

hikingfish said:
Hi everyone,
Did anyone try the MSR Reactor? It seems to be a perfect replicat (read: ripoff) of the JetBoil...Does anyone know how they differ?

Cheers!

Fish

It's not a "ripoff" but rather a much better design then the JetBoil. It addresses all the shortcomings of using a canister stove at altitude (and in the cold) and works quite well in windy conditions. I can't wait to get this stove as it'll be amazing for mountaineering/climbing.

mtn.goat said:
It's not a "ripoff" but rather a much better design then the JetBoil. It addresses all the shortcomings of using a canister stove at altitude (and in the cold) and works quite well in windy conditions. I can't wait to get this stove as it'll be amazing for mountaineering/climbing.
"For boiling water quickly or melting snow in windy conditions, the MSR Reactor gets the job done. It’s the heaviest (by only 0.3 oz.) and least fuel-efficient of the three stoves tested, but by far the best performer in a variety of conditions. And don’t overlook the “gee-whiz” factor – the Reactor’s unique design will get some stares wherever you light it up.

Thanks to their built-in piezo lighters, both Jetboil stoves are easy to light under windy conditions, while firing up the Reactor requires keeping a match or lighter going in the wind. This negates some of the Reactor’s advantage in the wind, but MSR plans on adding a piezo to future versions.

We haven’t done cold-weather testing of these stoves, but the Reactor’s pressure regulator promises to maintain steady performance over a range of temperatures."

Edited: This article (from MSR) has test results at 9 degrees, where it does boil in 5 minutes what it takes Jetboil to boil in 10. Downside for the MSR appears to be no electronic ignition, weight and fuel consumption.

Last edited:
Chip said:
..."Thanks to their built-in piezo lighters, both Jetboil stoves are easy to light under windy conditions, while firing up the Reactor requires keeping a match or lighter going in the wind. This negates some of the Reactor’s advantage in the wind, but MSR plans on adding a piezo to future versions."

On piezo lighters - do carry a lighter(s) and matches, just in case. Sometimes the piezo lighters don't work at altitude. It's only happened to me once, and fortunately I had a backup ignition source, but they're not foolproof.

Chip said:
Edited: This article (from MSR) has test results at 9 degrees, where it does boil in 5 minutes what it takes Jetboil to boil in 10. Downside for the MSR appears to be no electronic ignition, weight and fuel consumption.
According to the review referenced by cbcbd, the Reactor's fuel consumption goes down to a level similar to that of the Jetboil stoves when run at a medium heat.

Doug

hikingfish said:
It would be nice to see the results at -15C!

Fish
I'll take my Primus.
Like the smell of napalm in the morning, there's nothing like listening to the roar of a white gas blow torch on a cold winter's day.

I remember when the JetBoil first came out a few years ago, the reviews stated that it did not work well at all in cold (below freezing) temperatures.

Now that it's been out for a while, I imagine many/some of you have a JetBoil and take it up into the mountains in the winter. Anyone know how it works in the winter? Is it reliable?

The new MSR seems like it's pretty much going to kick the JetBoils A$$.

Desalad said:
Now that it's been out for a while, I imagine many/some of you have a JetBoil and take it up into the mountains in the winter. Anyone know how it works in the winter? Is it reliable?

the colder it is the more sketchy it works. mine was flaring up, acting crazy and never brought water to a full boil at -4. we were able to cook and eat, but i have only taken my simmerlight out in winter since then.

actually, it was prolly more like 5 cuz we used it for dinner.

Last edited:
Desalad said:
Anyone know how it works in the winter? Is it reliable?

I had trouble with the GCS in cold weather (around 20° F) this past winter - not so good, sputtering out, not wanting to relight while melting snow for water.

I've heard that the MSR might possibly have high CO emissions, especially when burning lower than full blast - keep an eye out for reviews/reports on that to see if it turns out to be true.