Mt. Abraham & Spaulding - Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Herrmann

Reaction score
Planning a trip to climb Abraham & Spaulding on March 2&3. Sled back on Fire Warden tr.; camp before Abraham; Hike over Abraham to AT and climb Spaulding. Anyone interested, contact me for details. Anyone with info on the area, would appreciate the contact.
Thanks,
Steve
[email protected]

He might chime in, but Big N Slow and his wife reported that the last 2 miles of road before the stream crossing were not plowed, and after 5 miles of hiking (3 on trail), they turned back, due to unstable snow conditions. This was the approach on the Rapid Stream side.

Don't worry about anyone telling you about unstable snow conditions. There are no avalanche chutes there for a reason. Its called Trees...of a variety and thickness which our western states dont see the like of. The summit cone, is another story though, but you would have to be off trail to really get into a lot of trouble with the exception of one short stretch.
I think what you'll find is that doing what you want to do is going to beat you up a little. Some people are into that. In fact, alot of people on the VFTT are. My advice is to either just do Spaulding and sugarloaf from sugarloaf side, or do just abraham. otherwise, youd be better off to have one more day. Thats just my advice. If you really want to do what your planning, then I would consider bushwhacking, becasue the trail wont be super packed this time of year anyways unless peakbagging has inflated to levels Id rather not think about. You could come up into the col of spaulding instead of all that other dangerous business. One thing to remember is that that area is VERY COLD. Not quite as cold as the Bigelows get( a microclimate) but indeed very cold. I would at least make sure you have a -30 sleeping bag, preferably neg 40, and two, not one primaloft jackets or pullovers, and ditch your fleece pants and bring a pair of insulated pants to put over your base and some midweights,and camp booties if you have them. I wouldnt mess around with down items this time of year either, it swings from raining to 40 below zero in that area. I would say con a deal with the loaf to let you ride up the lift and then hike over from that side, but i wouldnt recommend anyone but myself to do it, because when you dont start from at least a midpoint, it orients you in a very inorganic and misleading way which can make you make unorthodox decisions. if your going up or coming down the summit cone of abraham, stay to the north edge of the trees and or on trail. dont cut up the open summit cone on the east face. stay on the ridge line. There will be a lot of wind driven snow from up higher piled loosely there and refrozen. A little sketchy. and lastly, if the weather is not anything other than stellar, stay off mount abraham. in that case, you could camp on a steep slope below treeline by diggin a nice level platform int he wno and watch and wait for a break to summit only Abraham. dont mistake placid overcast or mixed low cloud weather for stellar. The ridges from Saddleback to Abraham and that whole mountain group create their own little weather system, and it can be nice int he valleys and nasty above 3400'. Trust me, ive been pinned down their once for a few days with an inexperienced hiker who I couldnt risk movement with. Just remember that if it's extremely "still" it can be the calm before a storm or strong and cold winds.The same goes for almost anything else bad that happens, even outside the mountains, so thats a gem of advice. I had an appointment in the area of the boston marathon bombings, and I knew it was waayyy too still beforehand, so I canceled my appointment. That event's gravity made for extra still air, even far from the city. Just don't think that "still" will always last all day or longer than 10 minutes for that matter. All the reason to be "present".
goodluck.

Last edited: