Mt Adams is Holy Mountain of 19 in world

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brownie

Finally, a bit more of the mystery has been solved for me, or is this just the begining? :confused:

Mt Adams in the heart of the Presidentials is apparently a selected site for one of 19 Holy Mountains as "charged" by the strange and mysterious Aetherius Society as listed here on this site of the 19 peaks in the world. (new list?)
Thanks to a post on VFTT, I only learned of this community today.

Flash back 1981:
Bill and I, 18 years old, are hiking the Presis traverse for the first time and experiencing quite a thrill over the large summits. As we head up the ramparts of Mt Adams, we see many folks dressed in white robes. There are groups of people all over the mountain, off-trail, and confused us which way to go. It looked like a free for all!
When we summited Adams, we saw chanting groups in prayer and I thought it looked like something wild out of Tibet.
Over on Mt Sam Adams, to the west, was a group of at least 100 in circle prayer.
Wow, these guys are serious. They were all blessing the vast quartz deposits.
I asked someone about the group and was told this peak was a "power point" for pilgrimage prayer.

I never really grasped the whole concept of spiritual prayer until much later in life...when I really needed it.

Fast forward 10 years 1991:
Due to family illness, I climbed to this area for a new quest, that of serenity and prayer.
I stayed at the Perch tent site many times before, but this was a new quest of sorts.
While camping out, I could not believe the number of other folks coming there to pray for various reasons and eventually this grew on me for many years to come.

Present day:
I find myself going to the region, often staying nearby at Madison Hut.
Still not understanding why, I some how feel safe, even in stormy weather.
I can't explain. It just feels "right".

So, is this why I climb the same peak 50 times?
I have another trip up Kings Ravine this weekend with the AMC.
The Annual Pilgrimage.

These are just some passing thoughts of a mysterious peak which I have felt compelled to keep in my life at least once each year. Not to mention that its probably the toughest peak to climb in the Whites.
I laughed :p , I cried :( , I prayed :rolleyes: , I angered :mad: , I loved :) , I left with serenity and to keep my own faith in myself.

I don't think I'll be signing up with these Aetherius folks, but its just glad to know someone else is still out there doing it all too...official. :cool:
The UFO thing really kind of spooked me!
And Life on Mars :eek: ?????? These people are really out there!!
Maybe I am being programed like the "Close Encounters of a 3rd Kind", compelled to get to Devil's Tower! :confused:

So, anybody got experiences to share?
If you don't want to express inner personal experiences to an internet group board's vulnerability, that's understandable.
I just stuck my butt out in hopes to maybe hear from others.
Drop a PM, if you like or post away public.

I just thought it was all good topic of interest, humor, positive vibe thing or whatever?
Hey! We got us a Holy Mountain! ;)

Brownie

Last edited:
First of all, don't worry about what others think. Small minds have a very narrow perspective, and, I think, miss a lot of what's around them because they just don't, won't or can't open up. And, sadly, to protect themselves they become defensive and deny anything and everything that isn't mainstream and conventional.

I've read about the Aetherius Society and can't say their philosophy resonates with me. However, I absolutely believe that there are power spots on earth - places where the energy level can be perceived by some as of a different quality and hence useful as a place to recharge, to jog conventional mind games, or to for a while reach a higher spiritual level. Evidently Mt. Adams does that for you. I wouldn't worry about the relationship of the Aetherius Society to Adams. For you, Adams would likely have been a power spot before the Aetherius Society said it was, no ?

The thing about power spots is that in many cases they've been there for a very long time and were known to be power spots by indigenous people. I don't have the affinity for Adams that you do, but I do feel that way about Sleeping Giant, in Connecticut. Sleeping Giant was a power spot of the native Americans long before European colonization. I guess I've been there over a hundred times in the last 30 years, and each time I go I leave refreshed and renewed. There are a lot of power spots in the southwest - Chacho Canyon is a good example, but there are many more. If you study this stuff, you'll see that power spots are often near or on top of mountains, though certainly not always. And as I said, they also are often associated with prehistoric people (i.e. before 2,000 BC or so). Stonehenge, which is now believed to have begun being built around 3,000 BC, is well known as a power spot. The two times I've been there made me agree with that.

I'm happy for you that Adams is a place of renewal and peace. There are many people who get similar feelings from such places. Call them power spots or not, they do exist. And don't worry - you're not alone.

Good post (and that is coming from a very nonspiritual person.) If you find peace and strength on Adams (or anywhere for that matter) it is great for you. I have never felt that way, but many do and it makes there lives complete and whole. We are all different and experience life in different ways.

My main feelings ascending Adams were pain, misery and when does it end!? :D

Back in the 60s there was a newspaper or magazine article posted on the wall at Madison Hut about these people. Today I googled "sacred mountain Mount Adams" trying to find out more about them for a book I'm writing (or actually as part of one of those rabbitholes you go through when researching a book which will probably never end up in the book). That brought me here.

Brownie's 19 Mountain link is no longer good, but I found this: https://www.aetherius.org.nz/about/holy-mountains/.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 87/115 (62/67, 23/46, 2/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 41/48; NEHH 89/100
LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017; FHT EB 2023

"As you all know, you just can't believe everything you see and hear, can you? Now if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way." - Mr. Paul Corusoe, on the dodgy subject of are there or are there not flying saucers

Interesting indeed...makes me wonder about my obsession with heading up Adams (well, in my climbing/hiking days). I frequented the summit many times and still gaze upon it whenever I travel there. Chocorua has that affect on me as well.

There used to be symbols painted on boulders near the summit sign but unless they have been repainted in the last few years they were no longer visible the last time I was up there.

I have always believed mountain summits as well as the mountains themselves can have a level of energy that can be beneficial to those who climb the mountain. Hence the reason my house is full of summit rocks from certain peaks from around the country. Ironically there are some popular peaks that I find with little to no energy, a good example is Mt. Lafeyette. Adams is a formidable peak; I think it's the toughest peak outside of Katahdin in the Northeast, Mt. Washington notwithstanding. I have never been peculiarly fond of Adams, its routes are cool, and I have done them all, but overall, it's not a peak I went back to that often. When I trained for the 14ers in CO, I did use Adams for that purpose and it served me well, the elevation gains and the routes out of King Ravine provided me with exactly what I was looking for, but that was strictly utilitarian. I'll for the sake of the discussion list some peaks, I thought had high energy.
1. Mt. Dana (Yosemite)
2. Mt. Harvard (CO)
3. Mt. Huron (CO)
4. West Bond (NH)
5. Mt. Pierce (NH)
6. Sugarloaf (Stratford NH)
7. Mt. Monadnock (NH)
8. North Moat (NH)

Interesting topic. There does certainly seem to be "something" about certain peaks, whether that is energy, past experiences or some religious element or whatever. I'm curious what people mean when they say "energy" - A sense of calm? Accomplishment? A sense of God? Some environmental or atmospheric phenomenon? Considering the widely differing beliefs and values out there I suppose there is something curious about many people identifying with a particular peak. I suppose peaks with crowds could either magnify or dilute that energy depending on what you think is the source of the feeling.

I suspect "energy" is a pretty personal thing based on the experience of the climbs on these various peaks and one's values and beliefs. I don't believe in religion so the notion of a holy peak or blessings somehow rubbing off on me don't really hold water. But there is certainly something "divine" about sitting on top of a large mountain and looking out over everything. It clears my mind and provides perspective on life. I never really thought of it as any kind of energy or physical phenomenon altering my body chemistry in some manner. I just feel like I have a connection with certain mountains.

I have climbed Adams quite a few times and the only oddity for me on that summit is for whatever reason I am usually really hung over (a purely coincidental but oddly correlated phenomenon :p ) and the winds have been curiously light - often clam - most of my trips there, which is certainly not typical. It is usually a crowded summit too which for me provides no energy or sensation. I like the summit but it has no energy for me.

For m
There used to be symbols painted on boulders near the summit sign but unless they have been repainted in the last few years they were no longer visible the last time I was up there.
This was what was painted on the summit. It was there when I first ascended Adams in 1956, and then someone used a rock to obliterate it around 1985 or so. I remember being a little annoyed at the defacing of what I considered a religious symbol no matter whose religion. Om.jpeg It is the "Om" symbol.

My understanding or at least the tales I’ve been told that those symbols were a reference to the people whom adhere to the belief of “Pyramid Power”. If you look at a topo map The summits of Adams, Mount Sam Adams, and Mount Quincy Adams form nearly a perfect equilateral triangle. Therefore a Pyramid and thence an area of energy so to speak.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_power

Within the principles of Pyramid Power followers “The Adam’s Triangle” adheres to function "as a thought-form incubator",

“Ommmmmmmmmmmm”"…………..

Attachments

• 23D0736A-43EE-4FD4-939F-0FA4A3326454.png
    23D0736A-43EE-4FD4-939F-0FA4A3326454.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
... Brownie's 19 Mountain link is no longer good....

The Internet Archive site has a bunch of versions of the link captured. The most recent version, however, is a 404 not found error page, so if you look, go back to an earlier version.

https://web.archive.org/web/2024000....org/NewFiles/Pilgrimages_holy_mountains.html

There, is says,

THE HOLY MOUNTAINS OF THE WORLD
(As Charged in Operation Starlight, 1958 - 61)

The British Isles
The United States of America
Australia
New Zealand
Switzerland
France
Tanzania

The 19 Holy Mountains of the world

This is a brief guide to the locations of the Charged Mountains. Detailed information is provided in our book "The Holy Mountains of the World" available from our on-line bookstore.

Any one or number of people contemplating climbing these mountains should first contact the appropriate Aetherius Society center given under Locations on this website.

In this way you will be advised on the best routes to take and also the type of clothing and equipment required.

MOUNT ADAMS in New Hampshire
Charged on March 15, 1960
Nearest community: Gorham

Mount Adams, situated in the Presidential Range of New Hampshire is one of the most difficult charged mountains to climb, yet contains wonderful Healing powers. Annual pilgrimages are made in July by our Michigan Branch.

My understanding or at least the tales I’ve been told that those symbols were a reference to the people whom adhere to the belief of “Pyramid Power”. If you look at a topo map The summits of Adams, Mount Sam Adams, and Mount Quincy Adams form nearly a perfect equilateral triangle. Therefore a Pyramid and thence an area of energy so to speak.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_power

Within the principles of Pyramid Power followers “The Adam’s Triangle” adheres to function "as a thought-form incubator",

“Ommmmmmmmmmmm”"…………..
Now that triangle is really cool whether you believe in the power or not. I've soloed Adams 2x and both hikes were among the most rewarding of my White Mt forays. It was windy on top both times and I was alone on the summit for about 5 minutes on the second hike. That was special. Damn, I just checked and that was 10 years ago. I've stood on all five of the Adams peaks and only Adams 5 is a bit underwhelming. There are probably some hikes I enjoyed more but Adams is the preeminent peak in NH for me. It's high, it's rugged and its unspoiled.

I have always believed mountain summits as well as the mountains themselves can have a level of energy that can be beneficial to those who climb the mountain. Hence the reason my house is full of summit rocks from certain peaks from around the country. Ironically there are some popular peaks that I find with little to no energy, a good example is Mt. Lafeyette. Adams is a formidable peak; I think it's the toughest peak outside of Katahdin in the Northeast, Mt. Washington notwithstanding. I have never been peculiarly fond of Adams, its routes are cool, and I have done them all, but overall, it's not a peak I went back to that often. When I trained for the 14ers in CO, I did use Adams for that purpose and it served me well, the elevation gains and the routes out of King Ravine provided me with exactly what I was looking for, but that was strictly utilitarian. I'll for the sake of the discussion list some peaks, I thought had high energy.
1. Mt. Dana (Yosemite)
2. Mt. Harvard (CO)
3. Mt. Huron (CO)
4. West Bond (NH)
5. Mt. Pierce (NH)
6. Sugarloaf (Stratford NH)
7. Mt. Monadnock (NH)
8. North Moat (NH)
Interesting idea. Despite the crowd, I would have to say the pillar at Bondcliff had a charged atmosphere as I stood on top. But maybe that was just adrenaline caused by my fear of blowing off in a gust of wind.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on all spirituality, but can't we easily explain the summit charge as Darwinian driven feelings of awe, curiosity and maybe a little fear?

I'm not trying to pour cold water on all spirituality, but can't we easily explain the summit charge as Darwinian driven feelings of awe, curiosity and maybe a little fear?
In the absence of anything spiritual or otherwise, I guess you have no choice.

I just started reading Sandy Stott's Critical Hours: Search and Rescue in the White Mountains (2018). Really good so far, he's a good writer. From page 7:

A moment for some mountain thunderstorm basics: compress all the advice available, some of it contradictory or vague, and you get this—don't be attractive. Here, we might channel the ancient Greeks, who had enough experience with lightning on their mountain peninsula to attribute it to their pantheon's big guy, Zeus. Just as it wasn't a happiness to be too beautiful, thereby drawing Zeus's eye and lust, it also didn't pay to be prominent, especially if your prominence contained a whiff of arrogance. The gods, and Zeus in particular, were alert for humans who aspired to join or even replace them. We belonged down there; the gods belonged up there. And when you think about it, isn't ascension part of what we're after when we climb, when we traipse along the bony ridge that bears us up into the sky?

The only time I've ever experienced a "Place of Power", that I could call such, was the Heart of the Monster that was sacred to the Nez Perce tribe. The nearer to the artifact I got, the stronger the sensation. It wasn't scarey as much as a feeling of energy that made me tingle. The feeling noticably diminished once I moved back to the parking area.

I'm just bummed that this Lazarus thread just barely fell short of being a 20 year old resurrection. Impressive.

Theologian Terrance Freithiem refers to the tabernacling of God. Roughly, God is always and everywhere present but is sometimes particularly present in certain particular places and particular times.

I experienced the reverse experience in a way when I visited a concentration camp.

And bringing it full circle, if you visit the homes and birthplaces of the original Adams family, you can also visit the location of one of the first massacres of native peoples by the invading English at Wesasgussett.

The most powerful place I ever encountered gave off a power of a different kind. While stationed in Germany from 1992-95, I visited the site of the WW1 Battle of the Somme. Let me tell you this: if you don’t believe in the soul, spirits, life force, etc, visit that battlefield. 30 years later the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just thinking about it.