Mt. Adams - Saturday August 6th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenDawg

Reaction score
On Saturday, Bob and Geri, Sherpette, Little Sister, Chinooktrail, and I met at Appalachia ready to climb Mt. Adams. We started almost promptly (oops) on the Air Line trail. The weather was comfortably warm, cloudless, with a light breeze and little humidity. In short, it was perfect. Unfortunately, for the fourth week in a row, my camera was having technical issues. To my relief, BobandGeri and Sherpette brought cameras to capture a fun and exciting day of hiking.

We proceeded at a leisurely pace in order to enjoy the beautiful weather and the upbeat company. We learned about Bob’s love of sharks, Geri’s favorite vacations, Chinooktrail’s love for Antarctica and Little Sister’s admiration for MEB. The trail lead above the tree line and on the side of King’s Ravine. Little Sister broke off and bagged Madison while the rest of us headed up Adams. Little Sister caught up shortly thereafter.

At the top, we met with Silent Cal, Mtn. Magic, and Mtn. Magic’s dog. We also met with two people were celebrating their 48th peaks, Dick Johnson – Bob and Geri’s friend, and several hiking dogs. Simply put the weather was perfect. Little Sister stretched out for a nap and some tanning. BobandGeri shared some memories with Dick, Chinooktrail enjoyed the warm sun, while Sherpette waved across to the Wildcats at Sherpa John. We spent a good half hour or more on the peak. After an enjoyable lunch (including a sub) and a few pictures, we started down Lowe’s Path, by Thunderstorm Junction, and down the Spur Trail on the opposite side of King’s Ravine. Having the opposite perspective on the ravine was great.

After passing by a few blueberries, we dropped below the tree line. The conversation shifted from vacations, to state laws, to bagboys, to Little Sister’s cookies (that for her second straight hike she has not brought). The company was as great as the weather and the view.

We stopped off at Crag Camp for a quick break and a few more pictures before the final push to the bottom via Randolph Path. I took a quick look off the path at Chandler Fall on Spur Brook. It was worth the venture off the path.

It was my most enjoyable hike to date. I can’t imagine better weather or better visibility. The company was just as great. I want to thank all those I met that day, and especially the group who came on the hike. It was great to hike again with some of you, and to meet Chinooktrail. Hope to see all of you on a future hike soon.

Great trip report. It was really nice meeting you all, hope to hike with you all again soon. I had a great view of the Whites from a small plane the next day, and then an even better view once I jumped out of it! I have a lot of reminders that life is very finite, and getting out and meeting new people is key to enjoying the time we have. Thanks to all for making it such a great hike, okay, the weather helped out too! Bagboys, hum, I think I need to go to the grocery store after work tonight.... Take care, Christine

Fabulous trip report! I really wanted to descend via Spur/Amphi a couple of weeks ago, but a couple of our group had sore knees. This lead to our decision to descend via Lowe's, figuring the footing would be easier. Next time I do Adams, Spur/Amphi will be part of the loop.

moose antler

but uou didnt find a moose antler

I did wear some fake moose antlers, if that counts!

The Spur trail was not bad at all. We had someone fresh off the disabled list with ankle sprain and she did well. I heard from someone that it is no steeper than Valley Way.

I loved looping around King Ravine. It sounds like you all enjoyed it too!

Sounds like a great day...but where are all the pictures??? :D

-MEB

Very nice to have met everyone at the summit. It's nice to put names and faces together. We could not have asked for nicer day. Let's hope the Flags day is the same. Congrats to Tagalong and Sonic Boom for their 48th!!!

Very enjoyable to meet old & new friends on Adams on such a delightful day to hike in the mountains. Congratulations to Tagalong and Sonic for #48!

My son and I got a late start on Saturday and went up Lowe's and King Ravine Trail and camped near the junction with the Spur Trail. Went into the Ravine on Sunday and had a GREAT time. This was his first time into the Ravine and he couldn't believe the views. There is still ice in the ice caves, which felt great in the heat! Hoped we would run into you guys on Saturday but didn't see many people. Hopefully I will be able to join you on a hike soon.