Mt bikes in Wilderness Areas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question: should I feel guilty about using the "wheel" to adjust volume on my ipod in the Wilderness?????? :D

Last edited:
Shoe-wheel.jpg

"But Mr. Ranger, I know this is a wilderness area but it is "foot" powered"

Quote:
August 15, 2011 by Scott Sandsberry
YAKIMA, Wash. — Having spent three decades backpacking in the boonies, I’m a bit miserly about sharing the trails. When I’m enjoying the breeze in the trees many miles from the nearest road, I don’t much like encountering mountain bikers, motorcyclists, horseback riders or, for that matter, even other hikers.

Motorcycles are noisy, horses drop trail apples, some hikers sing off-key or bring barking dogs, and mountain bikers, well, I resent them for being able to get where they’re going a lot faster than I can.

Fort-unately for cur-mudgeons like me, when I’m hiking in designated Wilderness, I don’t have to deal with mountain bikers. They’re not allowed in Wilderness, which means they’re locked out of nearly 4.5 million acres in this state and barred from more than 171,000 square miles of spectacular backcountry across the country.

But here’s the thing: They shouldn’t be kept out."

Click here to read more
http://sportsyakima.com/2011/08/sandsberry-mountain-bikers-belong-in-the-wilderness/

Who remembers the "BC" cartoon? Peter is riding a square wheel, and he complains that it's too bumpy. In the next frame, he has invented a triangular wheel - "Eliminates one bump."