Mt. Cabot for Final NH 48!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
(11/19/06) I couldn't have asked for a better hike for my final 48th, great trail, great company and invigorating pre-winter conditions. Ridgewalker and I departed via the Unknown Pond Trail at about 8:50 am under gray skies and mild to cool temps. The earlier muddier trail conditions gave way to firmer footing at a mile and a half or so. At one point we were startled by some sudden sharp crackling noises coming from behind us. Sure enough a large bull moose appeared from out of the bush and stepped out onto the trail about 75 feet from where we were. We quickened our pace relieved to see that the moose had decided to saunter off in the opposite direction. However our initial fears quickly turned to wonder at having seen such a magnificent creature in its own habitat. I now feel fortunate to have had this encounter.

I could see that frost had formed in the spruces on the visable slopes above us. Occasional fine barely visible snowfalls formed light accumulations on the trail increasing the sense of winter enchantment. Unknown Pond tentsite was captivating under these conditions, Monet-like as the lake receeded from the spacious foreground of giant conifers and disappeared in a veil of smokey mists and soft pastels. We paused to marvel at the scene wishing that we had taken our overnight gear along. But on we went and shortly thereafter linked up with the steeper Kilkenny Ridge Trail soon passing the .03 mile spur path leading to The Horn which we decided would be wiser to tag on the way back.

Upon reaching The Bulge we stopped for some close up photographs of the delicate spikey frost formations which were by now rather heavily accumulating in the spruces. Also it was getting colder. We made tracks for the top arriving at the summit shortly after 1pm. I was greatly relieved to see the summit sign. i had finally completed the NH 48. What a rush! We paused for more photographs and made our way to the Cabot Cabin where we found welcome shelter from the chill northerly winds. There we enjoyed a fine lunch of crackers, string cheese and pepperoni, a meal that strengthened us nicely for the hike back. The cabin is great and a wonderful addition to the summit. However we were getting colder as we had been sitting for a while and eating with our bare hands. We headed back, quickly traversed the Cabot summit and were soon revisiting The Bulge once again. This time we took the excursion out to the Horn. We shed our packs before scrambling up the bulging summit ledges. There were no views to be had but we could unmistakably sense the power and magnificence of the place. We lingered here for more photos, gathered up our gear, made our final end run and were soon back in a warm truck. We picked up some hot coffee and munchkins at Dunkin' Donuts in Berlin (seemed like the best coffee we had ever tasted) and enjoyed a final celebratory meal at the Muddy Moose in Conway, an appropriate ending considering.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to Ridgewalker and Marty for joining me on many of these these hikes and a special thanks to Marty for inspiring me to go all the way to the 48. This quest has been like a great Upward Bound program for me allowing me to discover my strengths and limitations, but mostly my strengths. For this I'm also truly grateful.

Ray

See Ridgewalker's pics at: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555710842eObRwP

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me tag along on your hikes. It was the highest honor to accompany you on your hikes to complete this list. But it was adventure and it continues to get better and better as each day goes on.

Your friend,

Ridgewalker

Nice Job , Ray....Congratulations

Maybe I'll see you at the 48 meeting next spring???....finished myself this year...

K

You da man

Ray - sincere congratulations to you. It has been an absolute joy to accompany you on so many of these hikes, including some real toughies like Carrigain in deep, unbroken snow with swollen stream crossings, Carter Dome in waist deep powder, Tripyramid Loop with dense black flies and the Kinsmans with a slippery Fishing Jimmy Trail. I so badly wanted to join you, but this damn sinus infection got the better of me. I would have probably called in a couple of dozen moose with my hacks, coughs and sneezes!

I am very proud of you and of Ridgewalker (Clarke), too. Will be in touch with you soon about future hikes that will no longer be list driven....Can't wait to do some Maine peaks with you next year, too.

Nice pix, Clarke!

Your friend,
Marty

Last edited:
Congrats Ray! and I too look forward to meeting in April.

I just did Cabot 3 weeks ago for # 46. Too bad I didn't change it and we could have had a double celebration this past Saturday.

All the best on a great personal accomplishment
Bill