Mt Cabot & Kilkinny range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steward

Reaction score
Any info about Mt Cabot? shelters, platforms, water.? We're finishing up our 4000 list.
What trails are the best, etc.
Thanks for advice
Doug

Mohamed's site is probably the best resource for broad route questions.

As far as route, I suggest the out-and-back from the north (drive in Mill Brook Road), going over the Horn and the Bulge. It's a longer drive but a very pretty trail.

When I climbed Cabot back in Sept. '07 my father and I stayed at Unknown Pond which has 4 or 5 hardened earth sites and a privy. The pond is beautiful, even more so I'd suspect with clear weather which we didn't have. Water source is the pond. Lots and lots of moose sign in the lovely birch glades.
t
Loop over The Horn and The Bulge using Unknown Pond, Kilkenny Ridge, and Bunnell Notch trails is worth it. These trails are accessed from York Pond, northwest of Berlin, NH. The Horn is the best views on the trip and you bag 2-100 highest peaks as well as Cabot. I saw a moose on the Cabot (my #47th) summit!

Staying at the Cabot Cabin is also an option but you'd have to pack up water I believe. There are views nearby the cabin from Cabot's south peak. The cabin sleeps maybe 8?

Pics from my trip if interested. Good luck.

Last edited:
If I was finishing on Cabot, I'd opt for the mill brook approach mentioned above. My preference would be to do it as a day-hike & then stay in town so I could celebrate with a few cold ones.

Some beer or champagne at the Cabot Cabin would be nice also. Unknown Pond is a nice destination, you could go in, set-up camp early & leave the heavy stuff & then hit the peaks.

Congratulations in advance....

The above pretty well covers it (except for the trail access dispute over the western approach), but here's a page I made a while back that collects all the necessary info:
mount cabot

I was just up there last week. I did the approach from the east, York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch trail. I saw a few backpackers so there are plenty of spots to stay. There is a nice loop hike around Unknown Pond and up and over The Horn so they all said. Very quiet area with not a lot of traffic. Enjoy!

My son and I did the York Pond Trail and Bunnell Notch at the end of July. We were only summitting Cabot and then back down. Ate lunch at the Cabot Cabin which looked good for bunking. Trail was good and lots of water to grab and filter on the way through.