Mt. Shaw (Ossipee Range)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timely subject everybody. I screwed up yesterday. Late start, too much traffic in Meredith (road work closures), didn't drive far enough, confused the name Ball with Bald and stopped at the Bald Peak lot instead. Haha. It didn't seem at all like all the reports and descriptions and suspiciously like a hike we had done several years ago in April (that's why it looked less open in the woods). But we had a great time. We drove toward the lot on the way home and there was Sodum Road, the bridge, the lot, etc. My buddy at work says "Everything happens for a reason," and the religious version is "Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!"

So now I have two plans. Castle in the Clouds route and Mt. Shaw! Watch for my exciting trail report for yesterday and the upcoming stories about these two trails. Mt. Shaw will be 50. We have The Horn and Mt. Success left (slow drive - I have a Corolla). Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom!

With regard to names...

I think the label "Italian Trail" unique to online maps, based on the color of the blazes painted about a dozen or so years ago (green and red). I don't recall seeing that name in any old printed maps. I personally use the older "Tate Mountain Trail" name.

A very old map refers to the subpeak of Mt. Shaw as "Black Snoot," differentiating it from the prominent "Black Snout" in the northwest side of the range.

Thanks for the link to the map, peakbagger. I did not have a reference point to compare Sierra's route up the Mt Shaw Trail to the westerly approach advocated by Ken in his book. Looks like the Mt Shaw Trail, while more direct, is around 400-500 feet lower as a starting point. Anyone wish to compare the routes? I also found a NE Hiking site with an embedded map that refers to the trail that leads to Tate Mt (aka Big Ball Mt) and then to Black Snout as the Italian Trail. This trail is called the Tate Mt Trail on the Trail Bandit map. That was a little confusing. I assume this is sometimes done as a loop over the 3 peaks?

I'm counting about 7 miles round trip and around 2300 feet of elevation gain by Sierra's route vs 8 miles and 1740 feet via Ken's. Does that sound about right? Add another half mile to bag Black Snout? Around 7.5 miles to loop over Shaw, Black Snout, and Tate? Too lazy to estimate elevation gain on that one but it's definitely more ups and downs.

Interesting list rocket21. Thanks for creating and sharing. The Ossipees are virgin ground for me. Terra incognita.
The Mt. Shaw trail from route 171 is shorter than Kens route, but harder. The route up the Italian trail and down the Shaw trail is a fine loop, I've done it twice. Be prepared to stop and look for the trail here and there, these trails are not the beaten paths you find in the Whites, but you will not get lost if you just pay attention. For what it's worth, I use two maps for the Ossipees, The LRCT map and the Trail Bandits map. The trail Bandits map is the only map that covers the entire range and its controversy notwithstanding, is one beautiful map. I bought the TB map directly from him, he lives over in Henniker, I believe.

With regard to names...

I think the label "Italian Trail" unique to online maps, based on the color of the blazes painted about a dozen or so years ago (green and red). I don't recall seeing that name in any old printed maps. I personally use the older "Tate Mountain Trail" name.

A very old map refers to the subpeak of Mt. Shaw as "Black Snoot," differentiating it from the prominent "Black Snout" in the northwest side of the range.
So the "Italian Trail" is more of a nickname. It makes sense due to the colors, although usually a trail is blazed in one color not two. I love these idiosyncrasies. Someone should set up an ice cream stand at the trailhead and sell Spumoni. The Snout/Snoot usage is also interesting though perfectly understandable that one letter might get changed. And don't they both mean nose?

Shaw is definitely on my future hike list. Thanks to all for providing info.