Mt. Shaw (Ossipee Range)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Made our third summit of Mt. Shaw in the Ossipee range in the lakes region of NH. It is significant in that's it is the first peak in mine and my dogs third round of the 52wav list. Did an out and back on the Mt. Shaw trail off route 171. The parking lot and trailhead are unsigned, as it's private property and not advertised like the public trails. It's a fine route through a beautiful valley and there are bears galore in this valley, this is the first time, I did not encounter a bear hiking in there.

Sweet.

Did Mount Shaw as part of the Northeast P2K peak and New England 50 Finest lists during pandemic times.

Sounds like an interesting route you took.

Attachments

• IMG_5309.jpeg
    IMG_5309.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 0
I used to do Shaw and Roberts as a loop hike from Shannon Pond twice a year, usually fall and winter. I never cared for the Mt Shaw Trail and that tiny parking lot. However, that brook that it follows in the lower reaches is very scenic. There used to be a lookout tower atop Shaw many years ago.

I used to do Shaw and Roberts as a loop hike from Shannon Pond twice a year, usually fall and winter. I never cared for the Mt Shaw Trail and that tiny parking lot. However, that brook that it follows in the lower reaches is very scenic. There used to be a lookout tower atop Shaw many years ago.
The lower section of the Shaw trail is quite nice when the water levels are fast. I do like the tote roads leaving from the Shannon pond area for sure, there are some fine loops to be had and those roads are quite nice winter and summer. It's a good lay out and trail network, the High ridge trail being a ridgeline connector really adds to the possibilities. It's a nice area and being just over an hour from my house, is nice when I don't want to drive all the way to the Whites. I only go on weekdays and rarely see that many people.

Thanks for posting reports on these 52WAV peaks. I follow them even when not commenting. I didn't know anything about Shaw or Roberts so this is both interesting and helpful. I have found that the difference between hiking weekdays and weekends in NH is considerable.

Thanks for posting reports on these 52WAV peaks. I follow them even when not commenting. I didn't know anything about Shaw or Roberts so this is both interesting and helpful. I have found that the difference between hiking weekdays and weekends in NH is considerable.
Mt. Roberts is a fantastic hike, and you would not be disappointed. It leaves from the Castle of the Clouds grounds near Shannon Pond. This central area is encircled by most of the Ossipee range, which is actually what's left of a cone of a volcano. This hub gives access to a trail network that is an amazing year-round hiking area, many trails using the old tote roads, that provided tourist access to the summits. Weekdays can find you solitude the Whites just do not.

Ken, what is the definitive source for info on the Ten?

I am seeing different peak names listed on different Internet sites.

Ken, what is the definitive source for info on the Ten?

I am seeing different peak names listed on different Internet sites.
As far as I know there is no definitive source, as it's my understanding the list is unofficial. There's no governing body for the trails in the Ossipees (outside of Castle In The Clouds) as much of the range is private land.

I've always gone by the list on Rocket21's site:

https://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/nhossipee10.php

I created the list (in consultation with Amicus, that terrible Trail Bandit, and a few others) about 15 years ago. I didn't want to deal with applications and patches, so it remains informal. There are a few unofficial patches floating around.

So are the Ossipees considered a separate range from the White Mts or a sub-range? It sounds like there are a lot of trails in the area of Mt Shaw and Mt Roberts. Can someone link me to a reliable map or post one here? Thanks.

https://www.trailbandit.org/Downloads.html
IMHO The one and only best map for the area but starting to get dated. The Lakes Conservation Trust has bought land/easements not shown on the map potentially opening up access to some areas, but reportedly in the past they have not done so by choice or limits of their easements. Just because land is "protected" under an easement does not automatically imply the public right to access although a large easement in the area specifically allows recreational access. NH common law does allow recreational access to private land as long as its not properly "noticed" as "no trespassing" https://nhwoodswaters.proboards.com/thread/2254/posted-property-laws-new-hampshire

Do note some of the trails shown are on private land and its up to the hiker to determine if the trail is currently open. Some are also historical routes that may or may not be currently maintained.

Last edited:
So are the Ossipees considered a separate range from the White Mts or a sub-range? It sounds like there are a lot of trails in the area of Mt Shaw and Mt Roberts. Can someone link me to a reliable map or post one here? Thanks.
The Ossipees aren't part of the Whites. They are a self-contained range.

The LRCT Castle In The Clouds map covers the official trails in the Ossipees.

Thanks for the link to the map, peakbagger. I did not have a reference point to compare Sierra's route up the Mt Shaw Trail to the westerly approach advocated by Ken in his book. Looks like the Mt Shaw Trail, while more direct, is around 400-500 feet lower as a starting point. Anyone wish to compare the routes? I also found a NE Hiking site with an embedded map that refers to the trail that leads to Tate Mt (aka Big Ball Mt) and then to Black Snout as the Italian Trail. This trail is called the Tate Mt Trail on the Trail Bandit map. That was a little confusing. I assume this is sometimes done as a loop over the 3 peaks?

I'm counting about 7 miles round trip and around 2300 feet of elevation gain by Sierra's route vs 8 miles and 1740 feet via Ken's. Does that sound about right? Add another half mile to bag Black Snout? Around 7.5 miles to loop over Shaw, Black Snout, and Tate? Too lazy to estimate elevation gain on that one but it's definitely more ups and downs.

Interesting list rocket21. Thanks for creating and sharing. The Ossipees are virgin ground for me. Terra incognita.

I don't know where the Tate, Big Ball, and Little Ball names originated. I would be curious to know if anyone else here has insight.

The Mt. Shaw Trail approach is indeed more direct but I don't describe it in the book due to it being partly on private land. Didn't want to dredge up any past issues.

Last edited:
LRCT does great work. Hikers who frequent this area should consider joining (it's cheap!).

Thanks for the link to the map, peakbagger. I did not have a reference point to compare Sierra's route up the Mt Shaw Trail to the westerly approach advocated by Ken in his book. Looks like the Mt Shaw Trail, while more direct, is around 400-500 feet lower as a starting point. Anyone wish to compare the routes? I also found a NE Hiking site with an embedded map that refers to the trail that leads to Tate Mt (aka Big Ball Mt) and then to Black Snout as the Italian Trail. This trail is called the Tate Mt Trail on the Trail Bandit map. That was a little confusing. I assume this is sometimes done as a loop over the 3 peaks?

I'm counting about 7 miles round trip and around 2300 feet of elevation gain by Sierra's route vs 8 miles and 1740 feet via Ken's. Does that sound about right? Add another half mile to bag Black Snout? Around 7.5 miles to loop over Shaw, Black Snout, and Tate? Too lazy to estimate elevation gain on that one but it's definitely more ups and downs.

Interesting list rocket21. Thanks for creating and sharing. The Ossipees are virgin ground for me. Terra incognita.
I've done Shaw both ways and found the Mount Shaw trail more fun. First mile is flat and runs along a beautiful stream. Second mile is STEEP and is where most of the climbing takes place. Third mile is along the tote road system atop the ridge and quite flat.

When you breakout on the road it is sooo nice to be off the steeps. Walk in the park from that point to the summit.

And if the day is warm there are great swimming holes you pass on the way back to the parking area..

The Italian Trail leaves Mt Shaw trail for Big and Little Ball about 1/2 mile from the 171 parking area.

Last edited: