Mt Chocorua -- and the unexpected!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMagic

Reaction score
Yesterday, I had the pleasant opportunitiy to hike to Mt Chocorua with 8 wonderful people. Lisa, Maggie, Bonnie, HikerAmiga, Adam, Bob, and Pete played hookey from work to join together for a hump day hike. It was the usual perfect day to hike, with moderate temps, little wind, and no bugs. The 360 degree views were once again spectacular and we enjoyed fine fellowship within our group and with the others on the trail, and on the summit. After the hike we went to Traunt's Tavern in Woodstock for a big dinner, to enjoy their fine food, and for more great fellowship.

As I'm hiking daily these days, I don't have time for any t.p., let alone a full one. I must relate that this hike is dedicated to Todd. Now for the unexpected! Just as the tree line ended before summiting, one of the beautiful women, Maggie an RN, stopped to relate the following stunning details of why *she* joined the hike: Three years ago her husband was killed in the Iraq war. Chocorua was their last hike together. They were married only 7 months. Tomorrow is the anniversary!

MtnMagic said:
...Just as the tree line ended before summiting, one of the beautiful women, Maggie an RN, stopped to relate the following stunning details of why *she* joined the hike: Three years ago her husband was killed in the Iraq war. Chocorua was their last hike together. They were married only 7 months. Tomorrow is the anniversary!

Although very rare, every once in a while someone can say something, and everything just stops. Sounds, smells, phycial sensations...everything...the world just stops. And you become absolutely unaware of everything around you except for that person and what was just said.

I have to imagine that yesterday was one of those moments.

All the best wishes for Maggie.

Yes, it was "one of those moments."

And several moments of tears ...
more than once.

Your post explains it perfectly. Thank you!

Mt Chocorua takes on new meaning for us...

As Magic mentioned above, yesterday I took the day off and a group of us hiked Mt Chocorua, elevation 3500. It was a really pretty day weatherwise and of the whole 8 of us, I only knew two people, Magic and Lisa. Met the others and right away I bonded with Maggie especially and offered her use of my extra hiking poles. However, she opted for my single walking pole instead.

We took off on the 3.8 mile hike up, moderate grade, day was sunny with light breezes though a bit humid. I noticed Maggie seemed to be having a bit of a hard time from the onset and perspired profusely. I heard through the grapevine that she was an RN so I kidded with her and announced that we all were in "good hands" with her. She seemed to require frequent stops to rest and at one point, I seriously wondered if she would make the whole hike. Later on to encourage her, Magic asked her to lead and promised we'd go at her pace and it was sometime after this that she abruptly turned around and announced, "I am doing this hike in memory of my husband, Todd who was killed in Iraq 3 years ago on September 1". All of a sudden, there was complete silence, Magic vowed his head and I was in disbelief of what I had just heard. Now my heart really went out to Maggie not only for how she was physically being tried on this hike but especially for what she emotionally must have been enduring up until now. Apparently, Mt Chocorua was the last hike she and her husband had been on prior to their marrying and his being shipped off to Irak. She later explained to me that they'd been married only one week prior to his deployment and 7 months later, before she could again see him, he had been killed. During our summit lunch, I sat by her for awhile and filled her in on some of my personal tragedies and how, by the Grace of God, I had overcome them. I hoped that she'd find some strength from hearing my experiences.

It was a long day's hike after that which included seeing poor Maggie get stung by a bee! She was a real trooper though! She marched on and all the while, I thought and even said to her, "Todd would be so proud of you!".

Just this evening while surfing the net I came across a tribute to Maggie's "Todd"... I hardly still know Maggie, but you know, for some reason during this day hike, Maggie and her husband-hero, "Todd" became such a part of me and now whenever I think back to yesterday's Chocorua hike, I think of Maggie, smiling, sweating and pressing on if only step by small step, stopping here and there but still pressing on. In the distance, I hear Magic saying "you can do it!" "Take BIG steps". Maggie stopping, perspiring, smiling back at us and moving forward with renewed strength.

During this hike, Magic had recounted the history behind why the mountain was named Chocorua (after the infamous Indian chief that had cursed the "white man" and jumped to his death in avoidance of being killed first). Today, it is so clear to me that this mountain, Chocorua holds many a story, indeed.

(In honor of "Todd" and Maggie: http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/oif/profiles/caldwellcharlest.html)

Also, our hike's pics... http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/553656544AfdFQV

Last edited:
We took our scouts on a hike through the Pemi a couple of weeks ago. As we were cooking supper on the second night the other leader pointed to his roaring Dragon Fly and said "You know, that thing kept me sane in Iraq". We asked what he meant because he very raely talks about the year that he was there. He said that he cooked on it three or four time a week and every time he lit it and heard that sound he was right here back in the woods. F-16s taking of, diesel generators, explosions in the distance all disappeared and for that moment he was a kid again in the mountains. It also was a "time stop" moment and it made me realize how lucky I am to tell these stories second hand and how difficult it must be for those telling them first hand. Thank you to both of those folks for sharing them with us; we really need to know these things.

Bob

Very sad story in deed and thanks for the llink amiga. I have a really good friend in Iraq now that was just deployed a few months ago. The soldiers hold a special place in my heart and I am always praying for them.

Like Maggie I have a special mountain and thats Algonguin in the Adirondacks. It was the last mountain I climbed with my Dad before he passed away of cancer. I remember sitting on the summit and him saying " I cant wait to climb more of the high peaks with you" About a year later he passed away. I cant wait to get to the top of that summit again and maybe this time I will take a flag with me in memory of him and our soldiers :)

Thanks for your story it kinda choked me up a bit :) and made me realize how short our lives can be.

Wow what a sad story.
Maggie hope to meet you on the trails.
Your husband certainly is a hero.
Thank you all so much for sharing your memories.
I to got all choked up reading theses stories.

What heart-felt memories we can share. I'm saddened, yet very happy to read your posts. Thanks for sharing!