Mt Chocorua and Three Hot Sisters, 04/24/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Date: 04/24/10 (Saturday)

Cast of Characters: Jim, Jorge and Petch

Peaks/Trails:Chocorua, The Three Sisters via Carter Ledge Trail, Middle Sister Trail, Piper Trail, roadwalk.

Trail Conditions:Lower section of Carter Ledge trail fairly dry. Middle Sister Trail in good shape, with snow pockets ascending the ledges on the North side. Snow sections not long enough to make snowshoes worth wearing, so we post holed the snow sections. Piper Trail in good shape up high with slushy snow in the col. Lower section in good shape with a couple good size blowdowns. Stream crossings were not a problem.

Commentary: About 10 years ago, I went up Mt. Chocorua in a drizzly, foggy, viewless day. Not even sure I made it to the summit proper. I’ve hiked a bunch a peaks this Winter in this area and always had great views of Mt. Chocorua. So, when Jim suggested we try to avoid rotten snow and hit a 3K- I was in. Jorge, who ice climbs all Winter, has now switched into hiking mode and decided to join us.
We got a late start, after 9am, and headed up the Carter Ledge Trail. We opted to add some miles to this hike and go up the Middle Sister Trail which would bring us up from the North and take us across the ridge hitting all the Sisters. We found several piles of Moose scat in the trail, but didn’t encounter any of the large fellows.
We were all hiking in shorts and a single layer, and never added any layers the entire day. The higher summits forecast called for temps in the upper 30's and winds gusting to 35mph. It was more like 60, with light winds on the ridge. But yes, we were only at 3-3.5k of elevation. We hit the col just South of Blue Mtn, and began climbing the ridge up to the Third Sister.

Jim and Jorge cruising up Middle Sister Trail
DSC00197.JPG

Pockets of snow started to appear, and post-holing became unavoidable in those sections. There are times when being 50lbs lighter would be helpful....No tracks in the snow anywhere, suggesting this trail hasn’t seen much action. We were awarded with great views from the ledges.

View of Chocorua from the Third Sister
DSC00208.JPG

We hit the junction with the Carter Ledge trail and began to see footprints in the snow. Next up to Middle Sister we went, with more nuisance snow pockets impeding our progress. On top of Middle Sister is a stone fire tower.

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow: "Man on the Silver Mountain"
DSC00212.JPG

From Middle Sister, we could see people over on top of Mt. Chocorua. More outstanding views on this Bluebird day. The sun was beating down, and I think we all got some sunburned foreheads. We could see big George as clear as can be, and could even see all the way over to Mt. Moosilauke, with snow on its peak.

View over towards Washington
DSC00203.JPG

Down the col to intersections with the Piper and Champney Falls trails, where slushy snow covered the trail. Then up to the main peak. A dozen or more people hanging around the summit area with more on the way.

3 Amigos on Chocorua
DSC00221.JPG

View back towards the Sisters
DSC00216.JPG

We headed down the Piper trail and swung by the Shelter to check it out. A few guys were setting up shop, while babysitting a stranger's dog? We ran across a couple wearing sandals! :eek: Back down to Route 16 and a mile roadwalk back to the car.

Good hike, good times.

Hiking stats: about 11.5 miles, about 3100 ft of ele gain, 6 hrs 50min.

Slideshow ^

Hiking Pictures:http://picasaweb.google.com/mpetcher
Ascent List:http://peakbagger.com/climber/climblistc.aspx?cid=1767

Petch

Last edited:
Great TR. Any blowdowns difficult to get around? I'm a trail maintainer on Chocorua (Piper) and plan to get and hike several of the trails next week.

nice report, wish I could have joined y'all!
Thx Keith, maybe we'll hook up next weekend

Excellent trip report and photos. I am sorry I missed out on this adventure.:):)
"If Bob was here, he would say....." was a phrase used often during the hike....

Great TR. Any blowdowns difficult to get around? I'm a trail maintainer on Chocorua (Piper) and plan to get and hike several of the trails next week.
Best I can remember, any blowdowns were easy to get over. I believe there was one good size one (10") on the Piper Trail.

Petch

Very nice Trip Report!

Hmmm! What a difference just a few days make here in the Whites. There's lots of bare ground in your photos . . . but with the new snow we've just received . . . bare ground at those locations might be in short supply! But hey . . . not to worry . . . if the forecast holds true, bare ground will be back this weekend!:)