mt. fredrica

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I read that the last 5 miles of road to the trailhead is narrow dirt road. I want to do this in the spring. Anyone have any problems with this road. I also have a question about buck mtn in lake george. Are there any problems with rattle snakes and dogs? Dont want my baby to get bit.

We drove in to the trailhead late last spring and didn't have any trouble in a small 4cyl car. Since this road/trailhead is the primary access to Lake Lila I think it may get a little maintenance every now and then.

Take it slow...

A few years back we took the road to Lake Lila for a canoe trip. We were driving a Dodge Caravan, and bounced on a rock in the road and busted out something important on the bottom of our car. It was not a good way to start a canoe trip.

If you take it slow and careful, you should have no problems.

No, take it real slow. It was a few years ago when I was in there. It was early spring and it was a little tricky.

caution on road to Lake Lila

You may want to call the forester that covers Lake Lila before you venture out. I was there a few years ago in May and the road leading in was extremely muddy in spots. We almost got stuck on several occassions in my friends high-clearance 4 wheel drive SUV. We also encountered a rather tricky patch of ice on a downhill section just before the lake. Beautiful area though - enjoy.

Crazy Mama!

We were on the same road in a Dodge Caravan and the van hit a big rock sticking up in the middle of the road and we cracked open the transmission pan. What a coincidence!

The hardest part of the trip though is portaging the gear down to the lake.

Ed

Lila

The road back to Lake Lila is a seasonal road; not sure when it opens. I drove the road back to "Inlet" (Oswegatchie River access, Wanakena area) late April a couple years ago. It was a combination of snow and mud; a real mess. Things can change while you're in there, making it hard to drive out again. When the conditions are like that, I would avoid that road until things dry up a bit more.

then is the hike worth the drive. It is about a 2.5 hour drive for me depending on how the dirt road is. I have not done many around tupper and would like to try some. If the summit has a good view I would take the risk to my oil pan. If it is just a ordinary hike I would go somewhere else.

the lake is real pretty. you need a canoe to get to the real trailhead. the views are nice.

ed