Mt. Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
First time, I have climbed this mountain and it was a fairly nice hike. I was greeted to an empty parking lot on Easter morning. I had limited knowledge of the mountain, no map and just my Alltrails app. I was pleasantly surprised to find free maps at the trailhead kiosk, I always try to have a map on all my hikes, especially new mountains. AS it turns out, the trail was very well worn and the signage was excellent, it would almost be impossible to lose your way. I erred on the side of caution having brought both summer and winter boots and chose my winter boots. I had seen snow in the woods on the pass, I drove through getting here and I do not like inadequate footwear any time. AS it turns out, there was very little snow cover left, enough ice in one section to warrant my spikes just to be safe, the AT section was solid ice, so my spikes allowed me to stay on the trail, which had erosion issues everywhere from people avoiding the ice. You can always tell mountains that are popular with tourist, they go unprepared, and the trail corridors suffer as a result. The summit was deserted, and it was a pretty nice summit, the tower (monument) was very nice (closed) and the views over the city below and the countryside were quite pleasing. After a nice lunch we made our way down, running into quite a few hikers who had started late, as a result of Easter, I'm sure. We made it down in just over an hour and started the long drive home, which by the way was 2.45 hours.

Attachments

• 20240331_105155.jpg
    20240331_105155.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2
First time, I have climbed this mountain and it was a fairly nice hike. I was greeted to an empty parking lot on Easter morning. I had limited knowledge of the mountain, no map and just my Alltrails app. I was pleasantly surprised to find free maps at the trailhead kiosk, I always try to have a map on all my hikes, especially new mountains. AS it turns out, the trail was very well worn and the signage was excellent, it would almost be impossible to lose your way. I erred on the side of caution having brought both summer and winter boots and chose my winter boots. I had seen snow in the woods on the pass, I drove through getting here and I do not like inadequate footwear any time. AS it turns out, there was very little snow cover left, enough ice in one section to warrant my spikes just to be safe, the AT section was solid ice, so my spikes allowed me to stay on the trail, which had erosion issues everywhere from people avoiding the ice. You can always tell mountains that are popular with tourist, they go unprepared, and the trail corridors suffer as a result. The summit was deserted, and it was a pretty nice summit, the tower (monument) was very nice (closed) and the views over the city below and the countryside were quite pleasing. After a nice lunch we made our way down, running into quite a few hikers who had started late, as a result of Easter, I'm sure. We made it down in just over an hour and started the long drive home, which by the way was 2.45 hours.
I am always amazed that people who hike to be out in nature, really don’t want to step in it. They cause trail widening and erosion along areas that are not designed to tolerate the traffic. That’s the whole purpose about hiking in the wild and wearing appropriate footwear. If they don’t want to get muddy or deal with ice, perhaps they should wait until the drought of summer when there’s been little rain and everything is baked. Or maybe they should take up an activity that is held on paved surfaces.

I like that mountain. We park on Hopper Road past the Haley Farm, go up Money Brook, Mts. Prospect, Williams, and Fitch, over to Greylock, down to Stony Ledge, and then out to the farm.

My favorite route starts at the Notch Road gate, up Bernard Farm Trail to the AT, over to Greylock, and then back down to the lean-to and the long, leisurely Bellows Pipe trail out to the Notch Road parking lot.

I have so many memories and stories of hiking and camping there. I'm 72 (today) but in my day: hiked from the south gate to the summit and skied down. Camped on the summit in late March one year, froze our tails off. Painfully post-holed the last mile to the summit one mostly snow-less winter at lower elevations. I believe it was the place of my first mountain backpacking trip before I took on the Whites. Even took the car to the summit a few autumns ago. I guess it still is a special place for me...thanks for posting your story.

Several years ago I hiked this mountain with a Newfoundland club. For anyone familiar with Newfs, you can guess that it was a rather relaxed hike as Newfies are not particularly competitive even with other Newfs they haven't met before. It was great fun, and I'm glad I did it even though it was a long drive.

I have so many memories and stories of hiking and camping there. I'm 72 (today) but in my day: hiked from the south gate to the summit and skied down. Camped on the summit in late March one year, froze our tails off. Painfully post-holed the last mile to the summit one mostly snow-less winter at lower elevations. I believe it was the place of my first mountain backpacking trip before I took on the Whites. Even took the car to the summit a few autumns ago. I guess it still is a special place for me...thanks for posting your story.
Sounds like you are a "ThunderBolt" in your own right.

Reactions: SVT
Nice first post !

Reactions: SVT
What's a 'Thunderbolt'...other than that ski/hike trail on...the eastern slope? Some sort of club I would guess...
I believe there is (or was) a club with that name that was connected to the ski trail of the same name.

Maybe inferring that you did more or less the same by hiking in winter, just as those who skied said trail had to do to get to the top of it?