Mt Isolation 5/18/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkutuk

Reaction score
Date of Hike: May 18, 2013

Glen Boulder Tr, Davis Path, Summit, Davis Path, Isolation Trail, Rocky Branch

Back Story : We had to cancel this trip last week due to rain. We got reports from Friday that ridge still had snow, so some packed their snowshoes.

Trail Conditions: Glen Boulder Trail and most part of Davis Path was clear all the way. Fantastic views behind us. We had to stop many times to take shots and enjoy the view. Couple of us in the group was surprised by rock climbing, hiking part of the day right before Slide Peak. Last .5 miles of Davis Path before hitting West Isolation trail and first .1 mile of Davis Path after West Isolation junction was terrible due to blowdowns. We had to go under the trees, above them, and mostly make our own way around them. It was absolutely doable, but time consuming. There was still melting snow that was postholed badly. Some members of the group tried to use snowshoes. They described the experience as "the snow shoes were more of a pain than helpful". Coming down, .3 miles or so of Isolation trail was pretty much the same as far as blowdowns. As soon as we passed them, it was easier despite wet grounds. All water crossings before hitting Rocky Branch Trail was high, but manageable with careful rock hopping. Once we were on Rocky Branch, first .9 miles were pretty wet. The rest of the way was dry and easy.

Special Equipment Used: You will need a good, very good pair of serious waterproof shoes. Hiking poles were very helpful, especially coming down over the rocks, crossings brooks. No need for anything else.

Comments: I was with my beautiful Xena ( my one year old Black Lab ) and Sarah, Ben, Stef, Jes, and Greg. This was my 43nd 4000 footer. Getting real close.

Edit: I was informed by a fellow hiker that two hikers cleaned about 25 of blowdowns on Davis Path. I wish I had a saw, I definitely would help out and contribute. I also didn`t know what the rule would be about cutting trees on the trail randomly. Regardless, as the informer suggested "If everyone cleared just a blowdown or two on their way through, big messes would be gone in no time. Just a suggestion if you want to give back to the hiking community and make your hikes a little easier".

603775_10151641969100132_1801712971_n.jpg

Last edited: