Mt. Jeff the hard way (down) 8/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
Since this was the only day this week that I could devote to an all day hike, I set out for the Jefferson Notch Road to climb Mt. Jefferson by the Caps Ridge trail, and a potential loop via the Castle Ridge and Link trail. The route up the Caps Ridge was uneventful, except for the fact that visibility grew less and less. By the time I reached the summit, the wind was howling, the 'fog' caused everything to be dripping wet, and visibility was about 20 feet. I looked around for the Castle Ridge trail off to the NW, found one cairn, but decided against this route because of the terrible visibility and being solo.

But, I was not deterred. I headed back down the Caps Ridge to the Cornice, hiked over to the Castle Ridge trail, which was nicely signed (not like the barren summit of Mt. Jeff), and connected with the Link trail.

The descent was pretty rough going, slippery and wet. I was navigating from cairn to cairn on the Cornice Trail, and for much of the Castle Ridge. I would love to take the Castle Ridge trail on a fair day to see the views. The Links trail is cut into the side of a hill and is not much more than a herd path. Besides adding 2.3 miles to my descent, I felt like I had added about 1,000 feet in elevation and descent because of the 'ups and downs' on the side trails.

It would be preferable to ASCEND Mt. Jeff using the Link Trail and Castle trail, since it would lead directly to the summit, and because some of the rocks would be easier to climb up, rather than side down on.

Still, I am glad I extended the trip - Mt. Jefferson is definitely worth more than just a 5 mile hike. If you want a more challenging route, with lots of ups and downs, amazing views (I'm sure), and some solitude in the Pres range, try the loop around the Link and Castle Ridge Trails!

Jabberwalk