Mt. Jefferson -- Oct. 23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
I can finally say that I’ve completed the AT in New Hampshire… hooray! With only a .7 mile gap left in New Hampshire, I spent a gorgeous Saturday hiking up, over and around Jefferson, one of my favorite mountains in the Whites, in order to finish up those miles. Pictures are here

I headed up the Caps Ridge Trail at 9 a.m. and it found it a little cool in the shady areas but hot in the sun. Within a half-mile I was excited to see frost lining the trail, (I cannot wait for the winter hiking season to start!!) but little did I know I’d be encountering plenty of actual snow at the higher elevations. I made quick work of the easy first mile and arrived at Whirlpool Ledge to encounter a beautiful view -- the Presidentials were snowcapped and clearly visible.

After lounging for a short while and chatting with some of the other passing hikers, I headed over to the Link Trail. While the Link has a reputation for being rough, I’ve already hiked Caps Ridge a few times and wanted to try something different. The Link starts off fine -- it does get rockier and rootier once you’ve actually committed to it. But the slope wasn’t all that difficult , just slow going because many of the roots were iced over, making them twice as slippery. I didn’t see any other hikers along the trail, but knew some were in front of me because I could hear them and see their footsteps in the dusting of snow along the trail.

It took me about an hour and a half to hike the 1.6 miles of the Link and I arrived at the Castle Trail, where I ate my lunch after being dive-bombed by two gray jays angling for some of my meal. I headed up the Castle Trail, which only had one particularly difficult scramble, but otherwise was a very pretty route.
. I met the two hikers I had been following along the Link -- this was the third hike ever for one of them! We chatted for a bit and I eventually moved on past them after finally breaking down and putting on my Yak Trax to stop sliding on the rocks. The top of the Castle Trail passes over a big field of boulders surrounded by about an inch of snow. I was happy to make it to the summit but surprised it that it took me so long!

From the summit, I headed down to Edmand’s Col, where I had stopped my AT miles on a prior trip, turned around and headed south to Monticello Lawn. The trail had about an inch of snow and was fairly slippery so I ended up donning my Yak Trax once again. It took me 45 minutes to reach Monticello Lawn, where I celebrated reaching my goal of finishing the AT in New Hampshire this year.

I headed down by the Cornice Trail and Caps Ridge, which were both completely clear of snow and ice. It was so warm in the sun, that I decided to lounge on Whirlpool Ledge for a while before heading out to the car. I made it back to the trailhead at 5 p.m. after a terrific day of hiking.

- Ivy

Last edited:
So *that's* what the views from the Castles look like!

WTG Amy! I was tempted to scrap my plans for Bondcliff and surprise you on the trail but stuck to my original plan. So - you got the views I missed on the Castles and I bagged the views you missed on Bondcliff!

What a fantastic day to be in the mountains. After slogging along the Wilderness trail and up through the woods to Bondcliff with the merest peek of a view I finally scrambled up the tricky little ledge near treeline and turned to the most amazing views. I almost cried, it was so beautiful.

Glad you didn't suffer too much on the Link. It's a lot worse in rain and cloud ;) And that little scramble on the Castles that goes straight up? Wooo hoo!

Congrats on completing the NH AT!

Bob

Thanks Bob! I was thinking of you when I reached Whirlpool Ledge and saw how great the views were going to be... I knew you'd have an awesome day on Bondcliff. I can't wait to see your pictures... ( I can look at these, right? :D )

-- Ivy

Wellll... Oh, OK - I guess you can :)

I have to finish them first... back to work :rolleyes:

Bob

Finally got my pics finished late yesterday and guess what???

The views were so fantastic I could see where you were on Jefferson!!

I had a BIG CLUE of course :D

Bob

Great pix, Ivy! And congrats on notching off the AT in NH. What else do you have left on the trail???

Wow....great pics....it looks like you had great weather! I had planned on hiking the Caps Ridge on Oct 16th but it was raining and foggy etc and as I was solo and had never been up that trail before I decided to wait for better weather. Now I cant wait to get back up there and try again!!

alpinista said:
What else do you have left on the trail???

So far, I've finished all of the New England states on the AT, except Maine. I've done a few bits and pieces in Maine, but I'll finish the bulk of the state next year (which fits in pretty well with the NE67, since most of the mountains I have left are in Maine too.) Then I'll have to decide whether to head down south to start hiking the rest or not. But I don't have to decide that for another year. :)

- Ivy