Mt. Katherine via Pasture Path.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Wanted to get out and walk the cobwebs off the snowshoes today, so decided on a nice little trail to get them all warmed up for winter hiking.
Ferncroft parking lot was all plowed out and there were even a few other cars there.

I was thinking of heading up to Blueberry Ledges, but when I got to the trailhead after the driveways I saw that all the tracks were headed that way. So I quickly decided that a trip to Mt. Katherine and breaking our own trail was the way to go.

This is a great little walk in the woods and a nice gradual incline perfect for skiing. Geneva had a great time romping and sniffing and checking out some deer tracks and some bunny tracks. She also remembered how to step on the tails of my snowshoes and watch me make a faceplant. It wouldn’t be so bad if she didn’t’ giggle after she did it. :rolleyes:

The entire trail was covered in snow, maybe 8-12”? Hard to judge, and it was melting a little on the edges. The trees were all covered still as well, which always makes for a beautiful walk.

We enjoyed some nice views from the summit to Chocorua and Whiteface and the fields and the little chapel. And when I unwrapped the pumpkin bread that I had just baked it was still really warm! Mmmm, nice summit treat! ;)

Right where the Red Path crosses there is an interesting old spring, called the Tilton Spring. (There is also a Tilton Pond not far from there) I tried looking up some information on the origin, since someone took a lot of time to construct it. Haven’t found anything yet, but will keep looking. :confused:

A really nice day to be out and enjoying the snow and the beauty of the woods.

Lots to be thankful for today!

What an excellent spot and day to get out enjoy the snow. The solitude in the woods is excellent..its like the first day of quiet..

We enjoyed a nice holiday visit to Cannon today..in the clouds with a few flashes of views here and there some wind on top and across Mittersill. Also an excellent first real snowshoe of the season...

Nice....never been on these trails...almost did these Sunday before opting for Blueberry ledge Tr. Thanks for the nice description. Hope to follow your track soon ;)

happy trails :)