Mt. Kearsarge, 4/20, Still no moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonadnockVol

Reaction score
Mt. Kearsarge, 4/19, Still no moose

This morning I hiked up Mt. Kearsarge (2937 feet. On the "52 with a view list") from the Winslow State Park side. You can find info on this mountain here:

http://www.nhmountainhiking.com/hike/kearsarge/directions.html

The access road still isn't free of snow.

2425422553_9cc69e8fdf.jpg

This added both distance and elevation making the total trip 4.3 miles and 1600' of elevation gained.

Trail conditions were a mixture of corn snow, ice, rock and mud. Although it was barebootable I found it easier to put on my microspikes and take the "monorail" to the top.

2425423037_c9086b2afc.jpg

The monorail was in good shape, but step off it by as little as an inch and you would posthole knee deep.

2425423115_5575be4a0c.jpg

Although the weather was brilliantly sunny, visibility was limited by a little haze. I could clearly see Monadnock to the south. After an hour on the summit, I switched to my second pair of socks and headed down

2425422823_bba27973a6.jpg

Since I ascended on the Winslow trail, I took the Barlow trail down. Here the monorail was not as well defined and the snow was deeper. A few times I stepped off and postholed all the way to my groin.

There were signs of moose everywhere but I still haven't seen my first live NH moose.

2425423067_926417d2d2.jpg

2425423153_e6d933974a.jpg

When I got down, I received a message that there was a rescue underway at Monadnock State Park and that my presence was requested. So I switched to my third pair of socks and headed south. I'll talk about that in my next report.

- Monadnock Volunteer (aka Steve)

More photos from this trip

Last edited:
Memory Lane

Your report brings back fond memories for me. As a kid growing up in the 1960’s my grandparents lived off the banks of the Blackwater river. We could see Mt. Kearsarge from their house. At eight years old Kearsarge seemed like Everest. Thanks for the pictures as well.