Mt Mansfield With Only a Few Profanities - 1/19/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
Last weekend we set out to get our remaining four 4000 footers in Vermont. In the end, we had a great day on Saturday hiking Mt Mansfield with perfect conditions and a couple of less successful attempts at the rest. Everything turned out fine though and we had an overall great weekend and lots of fun. Missing the other peaks just means we have an excuse to return to VT soon.

Here's the story and pics on the blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/mt-mansfield-with-only-few-profanities.html

A few profanities may have been uttered on the way up Profanity...
dsc02122.jpg

...but the views from the top were worth it...
IMG_5369.JPG

...and it was definitely more fun on the way down!
IMG_5385.JPG

Last weekend we set out to get our remaining four 4000 footers in Vermont. In the end, we had a great day on Saturday hiking Mt Mansfield with perfect conditions and a couple of less successful attempts at the rest.
For Mansfield, do you remember the total mileage and ascent?

Also, do you know if there is a trail that starts at Stowe?

You can do Mansfield from the LT which starts in stowe. Drive up Rt 108 (?) to the gate where there is usually ample parking on the sides and walk up the popularly skied road about 1/3 mileish to find the LT kiosk in the woods on the left... I don't remember mileage nor do I really care, we're peakbaggers! We go up til there is no more UP to go. You can do Mansfield in a half day fairly easily, it's not terribly far. I'd bring crampons though for the one little chute that can be icy in the right conditions and right below the summit rocks.

Jay

Jay hit it exactly. This is a short route - under 5 miles round trip including the road walk. Elevation gain is around 2700' but the only place it feels like it is on Profanity. We didn't need anything besides snowshoes, but I can definitely see the need for crampons on a different day.

Jay hit it exactly. This is a short route - under 5 miles round trip including the road walk. Elevation gain is around 2700' but the only place it feels like it is on Profanity. We didn't need anything besides snowshoes, but I can definitely see the need for crampons on a different day.

Tom, I realize you might be talking about the Stowe Resort and not the town of Stowe...

My first time up Mansfield a bunch of us took the Hazelton trail from the actual ski parking lot up to the Nose and then down via the LT with the short road walk back to the ski lot. I do not know Stowe's policy about snowshoers on their open resort but I know a lot of ski areas are getting a lot more restrictive as per liability concerns, etc. Probably best to actually contact the ski area and ask unless somebody here has first hand knowledge that is recent.

Jay